SR20 Guys... Would you have done anything differently...

heywier427

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Adjustable just means it will be installed wrong.  We are just going to make it to our liking and thats it.  It should work within 90% of peoples ride height choices.  

Cool MR2 rack install!  I like the clamp idea!  

• 5 weeks later...

O it's on our Xmas list!!!!  Seriously its amazing how many things you have to think about when doing a "bolt on" rack and pinion conversion.  The biggest hurdle is designing it so it will work if someone has a stock car or a slammed car.  Turns out it can't be done so we are just designing it for what we like and to bad to guys who don't want low cars.  

I doubt the 86 crossmember would be optimal for bump steer and such in a 510.  If I get a chance I'll have to check one out.  

If you want to keep the stock bottom mount manifold, the down pipe runs into the steering box. Having R&P steering would really help in overcoming this. If you don't mind a little play in the steering though, I don't know if it's worth the extra effort and cost.

I'm sure you meant to say "I doubt the 68 crossmember would be optimal for bump steer and such in a 510". When building 510 race chassis Troy Ernish razed the pickup point on the 69-73 cross members to match the 68' hight. See pict below. This, in and of itself, is not the answer to bump steer, but it's a huge leg up when the rest of the suspension parts are matched to it.

Razedpoit.jpg

If I had it to do over again, I would seriously consider going with a KA. With the money you save, you can afford to add a turbo. Although it's not as hight revving as an SR, a KA makes as much HP, but makes WAY more torque. If there's one thing that lacks in the SR, it's grunt.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

If you want to keep the stock bottom mount manifold, the down pipe runs into the steering box. Having R&P steering would really help in overcoming this. If you don't mind a little play in the steering though, I don't know if it's worth the extra effort and cost.

I'm sure you meant to say "I doubt the 68 crossmember would be optimal for bump steer and such in a 510". When building 510 race chassis Troy Ernish razed the pickup point on the 69-73 cross members to match the 68' hight. See pict below. This, in and of itself, is not the answer to bump steer, but it's a huge leg up when the rest of the suspension parts are matched to it.

Razedpoit.jpg

Damn my not prof reading....   I'm bad at that.  The bump is just dependent on the parts combo.  It's just risky mixing and matching.  If the goon steering box and idler arm are mixed with the 68 crossmember the bump is BAD!  Scary bad.