Best Way To Fix This Dashpad

B2Fresh

I yanked out my dash pad from my B210 to fix it and rather that spending over $100 for dash cap I'd figure it would be less expensive to fix it. So my question is how would you go about repairing and covering this dash pad with all these cracks.? Also I'm not so concerned about the speaker holes since I'm not planning to use the stock speaker in the dash..

I have my ideas but would consider other options.

Here's how my dash pad is with all it's cracks needed attention.

90255E40-7D17-4466-B347-6313DE3CDC2B_zps

E5FF2516-6028-4FA0-AF66-25A4B00E5CC2_zps

• Like 1
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the way people have done it in the past is to grind down the volcanoes. Meaning the spots where it cracked and is lifting. Fill the cracks with spray foam. hit the whole thing with some body filler and shape it back to original shape. Then cover it with black vinyl.

If you can heat the vinyl and vacuum mold it.. you'd get the best results I think. Not sure what the best kind of glue is for this application..

• Like 4

Yeah was thinking of grinding out the lifted edges where the cracks are. "V" groove them for better fill and smooth finishing for when I lay the proper vinyl.

Has anyone done such a project like this.? If anyone has please care to share and post your before and after to see the final finish.

Thanks for those that posted there info on the idea..

• Like 1

I actually redid mine but don't have any pics but I'll get some and post them? But I rushed mine like s dumbass. So i actually sanded my whole thing smooth with a palm sander that took 30 mins but it was well even then I applied a very thin coat of bondo besides where there was cracks obviously and with the thin layer that remained I sanded it down to an even surface then used the thinned foam I could find from an upholstery shop which I think was .25 inch and then laid the vinyl. I stapled it from the bottom as well for extra strength. I'm happy with mine and I can say I made it. I think I have high standards so I'll get a pic and post soon enough for you to judge.

• Like 2

I actually redid mine but don't have any pics but I'll get some and post them? But I rushed mine like s dumbass. So i actually sanded my whole thing smooth with a palm sander that took 30 mins but it was well even then I applied a very thin coat of bondo besides where there was cracks obviously and with the thin layer that remained I sanded it down to an even surface then used the thinned foam I could find from an upholstery shop which I think was .25 inch and then laid the vinyl. I stapled it from the bottom as well for extra strength. I'm happy with mine and I can say I made it. I think I have high standards so I'll get a pic and post soon enough for you to judge.

I was kinda thinking of doing the same thing since body filler is mainly to fill the large cracks and crevices. After sanding the filler into shape and smooth, adhere a thin layer of foam to make it all even and flat and there after the preferred vinyl or leather of the choosing.

Yes please post some pictures to check out the end results.

• Like 1

I did a couple 521 dashes years ago.  I cleaned up the lifted curled vinyl and sanded all grooves smooth and clean.  Tack ragged it and the filled all the grooves with aerosol foam let that set up and then shaped it with knifes and sand paper until smooth.  I used thin automotive carpet in black.  Less glare and hid imperfections well.  I cut the carpet to size leaving and extra 2" all the way around.  This was so I had something I could get a hold of to stretch out any wrinkles I had.  I used 3m spray contact cement to glue the carpet to the dash.  I worked slowly working out any imperfections as I went and on the rolled compound curves I cut precise darts in the carpet that allowed the carpet to lay edge to edge and flat.  After I had the dash covered I installed the metal vent pieces and the ash tray.  It looked great and all I had to do to clean was vacuum it. No pictures as I did this long before the internet was around!  LOL

• Like 2

Unless your cracked dash extends all the way to the edge, don't forget to "stop crack" the existing cracks.  You take the smallest drill bit you have [those for screwing with carbs come to mind] and drill a hole just beyond the end of the crack.  The hole will stop the crack from progressing on to the edge of the dash, and the existing crack may well jump to the new hole.  This is a good thing!  No more problems from that crack.  By the way, this is how you fix skin cracks in aircraft!  Once the cracks are stabilized, then go with the Vee Grooving, filler and application of whatever type of top coat you want.

• Like 2