L-Series Valve Cover Shaving

serum114

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There were several types,three for sure not counting the 1300 OHC and 1400 OHC in foreign markets.

DATSUN 1600 OHC some had fins all the way to the front, some didn't. The oil fill hole was not threaded

DATSUN OHC threaded oil fill hole, fins not to front

NISSAN OHC threaded oil fill hole, fins not to front. (I think I have one of these)

There were several types,three for sure not counting the 1300 OHC and 1400 OHC in foreign markets.

DATSUN 1600 OHC some had fins all the way to the front, some didn't. The oil fill hole was not threaded

DATSUN OHC threaded oil fill hole, fins not to front

NISSAN OHC threaded oil fill hole, fins not to front. (I think I have one of these)

There must be 4,i have one with a threaded oil cap says Datsun 1600 OHC

• Like 1

It's just aluminum. Wouldn't be hard to shave at all. I recently shaved a kae valve cover. I used a grinder with a flap wheel on it, went decently quick but slow enough it was controllable so I didn't go overboard.

IMG_20150927_143257359_zpsewwfji01.jpg

Ignore the jb weld. I started by trying to use a cut off wheel and gouged the crap out of it. Switched to flap wheel and it went great.

Originally it was fully finned like this one.

4PygRb0.jpg

• Like 1

I have milled off the letters before in a knee mill. Not hard to get right. But that was so I could attach a Rebello Racing nameplate to a racing engine. Personally, I like the look of the stock lettering.

There is at least one more variant, the Nissan 2000 OHC lettering.

You need to go back over that with a block and get it perfectly flat, that would be badass!  Looks pretty decent right there, but that little bit extra, if you have the patience and it's not on an ugly-betty type car.

• Like 1

I plan to block it down fairly smooth. I'm not planning on polishing it so I don't need it perfect, but I do plan to paint a design on it, so I want a nice clean canvas. Once I'm done, I will sand "Nissan" back off so it's bare metal.

I have milled off the letters before in a knee mill. Not hard to get right. But that was so I could attach a Rebello Racing nameplate to a racing engine. Personally, I like the look of the stock lettering.

There is at least one more variant, the Nissan 2000 OHC lettering.

That's great to hear that it wasn't much trouble!

To your point about putting a name plate in that spot, I do see that it may look like something is missing if I remove the type without replacing it with something else.

My original concern was; im thinking of doing a metallic flake powder coat on a valvecover and that the nissan/datsun type may look strange with the amount of flake I'm considering.

• 1 month later...