Datsun lz head type 2

riaan140z

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

did you guys think i was talking crap?? hahaha 

They are so rare, that's why Mike dismissed it as the more common LZ motor build. People have wet dreams of those parts.

@riaan140z

contact these guys

http://lescollinsracing.com/engine/projects-engine/lz20b-rally

new chain + gears, etc. have to be fabbed up, and aust. is the place to have it done

I hope someone dick punches whoever made that coffee table.

• Like 1

The fact that it became a table is probably the only reason the engine survived. Likely would have junked otherwise. And those les Collins guys turned it back into a motor. I'm just glad it survived in any fashion.

• Like 3

Currently having one built for a restoration project.

would you mind sending me a PM, I'll give you the details of the guy who id building my engine.

I'm also interested in some of your spares

Thanks

Dave

• Like 1

Good morning guys, sorry for the post then i did not think to place it there. 

Yes it is the lz twincam head setups i have. 

i have one complete setup and i need the parts as mentioned to make the second head complete. 

im uploading some pics now.

20151129_120511_zpstgaeyn12.jpg

20151129_120516_zpsjt3hyf4b.jpg

20151129_120523_zpsokl7nxqp.jpg

20151129_120535_zps59jbig0k.jpg

20151129_120530_zpsxho09k0h.jpg

did you guys think i was talking crap?? hahaha 

Hell no, it's just that these are as rare as rocking horse shit.

• Like 2

Thanks for the information guys, i believe the best thing is to send both setups to les collins racing and let them rebuild them back to spec. @ Davie im going to check my heads today to see if they are main circuit or rally spec. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Not to resurrect the dead here but I have a question.  Why hasn’t someone who owns one of these gotten a 3D scan done and produced some billet heads on a 5axis mill given that they are like gold?  I’ve seen more complicated looking heads made on a 5axis from a sweet chunk of billet aluminum before after all.  I would think if they were worth unobtanium prices there would be some sort of market. 

• Like 1

Rarity is what drives the price. Only used on the JDM 510 coupe who's engines were sometimes mistakenly imported and the heads ended up in circulation. An L16SSS made about 10? more hp with this head BUT uses high compression flattop pistons and dual Hitachi side draft SU carburetors to do this. By themselves the head doesn't do much but on a 'built engine it can. Closed chamber (peanut) heads only work properly if you have a flattop piston. 

Very limited market and only someone who races would/could afford them. You can convert the closed chamber A87 to a 912/219 with careful porting. Whats the real difference really? a true 1.5" intake port over a 1.35" port? What's that worth in power on a stock engine? 

• Like 1

There is a company reproducing the 6 cylinder twin cam heads. I think they are in the southern states somewhere. The head casting and it's parts cost about $15K. A friend of mine is having a twin cam 3.5L engine built right now and he's going to have over $40K into it when it's done.

Also, only some of the racing rules allow for aftermarket cylinder heads, so that limits the market even more. Vintage racing guys are about the only ones who may be interested in this, and they need to run an original style engine layout to be permitted in the run group. Modern racers would not be building an L motor to begin with.

• Like 1

Yeah castings can cost quite a bit to coordinate manufacture on but in my Porsche days there were a few companies reproducing in billet the GT2 heads for the 993/911 which were about half what real heads cost.  Obviously simpler to make since those were air cooled though so that what got me thinking.  But with no real demand or market for them you could never sell enough to make it worth while at a lower price point.  The lack of demand makes sense too when you figure someone could do a swap for more power at an extremely lower price.  Like I said in another thread I used to build mostly Porsche’s when I worked for autothority and given the economic demographic things that normally wouldn’t have a market sold we’ll just so the buyer could demonstrate the size of their wallets.  That environment influenced my thinking so that’s where these ideas come from 

• Like 1

I'm more of a built than bought guy. Nice to design and build something out of nothing or spare parts. It teaches you how NOT to do something. 😄 But it's  nice to work with your hands, build something to fill a need and have it work.

• Like 1

I completely understand where you are coming from and feel the same.  Though Iconsider myself a do it the right way the first time regardless of the cost so it both looks good, does what I want, and lasts, but I have never bought something just to grunt like Tim the tool man or brag for that matter.  Ive had a few pricier cars but the rationale was always because I had a dream in mind of how I wanted to build it to make it mine and not for bragging rights.  After all I bought a rx7 purely cause I loved the brap brag and wanted the 6 foot flames when you turn off the fuel cut on decel feature on the haltech.

Edited by G8KeaPoR
  • Like 1

True.  I just mean the guys that buy the most expensive thing just so they can say they bought the most expensive thing.   Spending tons of money to do follow a dream is fine but if all you wanted to do is say “I’m rich b!tch” then I probably won’t respect them.  That doesn’t stem from jealousy either more from sympathy for that poor car that will never get the care that it deserves.

• Like 1

This topic reminds me of red wine. It has different tiers. And each tier has vastly different points of view. None of them is better than the other.

- less than $20 per bottle - basically all the same.

- between $20 and $100 per bottle - able to discern terroir and vintage, but still available at grocery stores.

- over $100 per bottle - anything over $100 per bottle is in niche territory, displaying unique character, but value largely based on hype.

Under $20 - Ratsun - definitely $20 or less per bottle (more like box wine). Some very cool cars and trucks come out of this category. Style on a budget can be bolstered by their mechanical and/or fabrication skills.

$20 - $100 - Tier two is a mixed bag with lots of DIY'ers but also lots of professionally built vehicles. Builds tend to be done on a budget, and taken in stages over the course of a few years. Extra cash means more elusive parts, custom parts, better fabrication, better paint, new or rebuilt drivetrains, high level of fit and finish inside and out. Driver quality vehicles with collectible status.

Over $100 - think George Poteet. I don't know how many cars this guy has commissioned, but it's got to be in the hundreds. Average cost of one of his recent builds is in the $250K - $500K range, which means that he has probably not lent a hand during the build process, but the world would be a worse place without his vision and ability to pay for it. On the side, think of all the shops he has brought up from the garage stage simply by allowing them to build one of his visions. These guys promote the industry by pushing the envelope.

So while you may dislike the guy who pays for his ride because he can't possibly appreciate it as much as we do, remember that it isn't about the guy. It's all about the car or truck that he or she builds or has paid to have built.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...