REAR DIFFERENTIAL too full/ or just right.

blackbomber

Hey guys, back for another tour ....still have the bomber....32 years now...wow.   I noticed the rear diff was leaking today, so when I got home I got underneath it, and looked like leaking around the plug, ..so I pulled the plug too check the fluid level, and it started to drain,  so I screwed the plug back in, and put 2 2x6  blocks under the rear passenger wheel hoping to lean the fluid to left side so not so much would drain out.  I pulled the plug and maybe 2 ounces drained out... ..then I  cleaned up the plug.....then I tried to squirt more 90 wt gear oil back in the diff hole and it just ran out...

I was able to get the plug a lot farther back in than it was....

I had the diff fluid changed out a few years ago at the jiffy lube/ it only has a few thousand miles on it,  but they pump the stuff in there,  then cap it while it  runs out,  so Is it possible they over filled it in the first place??   that's my ??,,,   and do I have enough in there now.... I backed it off the blocks, and re checked it in the garage, still full,,  concrete garage is level as far as I know,                                                                                     so, is the level going to be ok where it is at now , or should I try to get more in there......  thanks guys...jason

• Like 1
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Full is level with the fill hole. It might get slightly over filled and that isn't a problem. Is it possible that the differential was submerged in water? The differential gets hot and when cooled by water the air inside shrinks sucking in air. (or water) As water is heavier than oil it will settle to the bottom and the oil level will rise. 

Drain into a clean container and check it. If ok just put it back in with a dollar store turkey baster.

• Like 2