fluids

68" datsun 520 J15 engine

i currently have no fluids in my truck at all.

the truck will only be drivin in the summer and will be garaged in the winter.

so i am in need of some info.

- rear diff oil?

- transmission oil?

- engine oil?

- coolant?

- steering box?

- clutch fluid?

- brake fluid?

the truck has roters on all four wheels. D21 front calipers, Isuzu rear calipers.

willwood MC one for front one for rear. floor mount pedals.

thanks for any info.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

- rear diff oil?................. GL-5 80w90 about 1 liter

- transmission oil?........ GL-4 90W (must be copper/brass compatible) about 2 liters

- engine oil?.................. 15W40 Rotella T or Delo 400 (a light diesel oil with good ZDDP levels) 4.3 liters with filter.

- coolant?...................... 50/50 distilled water with premium antifreeze coolant

- steering box?.............. same as differential

- clutch fluid?................ DOT 3

- brake fluid?................. DOT 3

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

- rear diff oil?................. GL-5 80w90 about 1 liter

- transmission oil?........ GL-4 90W (must be copper/brass compatible) about 2 liters

- engine oil?.................. 15W40 Rotella T or Delo 400 (a light diesel oil with good ZDDP levels) 4.3 liters with filter.

- coolant?...................... 50/50 distilled water with premium antifreeze coolant

- steering box?.............. same as differential

- clutch fluid?................ DOT 3

- brake fluid?................. DOT 3

so i bought the rotella t

it is a diesel oil,

is this ok for my motor, even thow it is a gasoline motor?  

Diesel oils are more detergent so likely it will darken faster because it is dissolving deposits already in your engine. Dark oil does not mean the oil is no longer any good. Diesel engines use the same kind of cam and lifters we do and so still have the old level of zinc in them.

Opinion time...

It's up to you but, engine oil additives make make lots of money for the the maker and the seller but are usually just the same additives already present in the oil you buy. Nothing magical in them what ever. Oil treatments rely on scare tactics, 'testimonials' and 'demonstrations' that would never exist in a real engine in a million years. All oils have to pass a minimum standard to be sold. Brand names may be slightly better. Change your oil and filter... on time... and you'll have no problems sleeping at night.

Lucas ads viscosity to the oil, I've noted 3 to 5 psi difference between non Lucas and with it, we put a gallon on our engines with every oil change, 11 gallons of delvac or delo 400 plus 1 gallon of Lucas, after 14k to 16k miles our Lucas engines have more viscosity and are cleaner than the engines with no Lucas.

Buuuut, who am I to believe.....I only have been around trucks for couple days :lol:

Listen, it won't hurt anything.