Datsun 521 Electrical help

Jacobs601

Refer back to the electrical diagram I put on page one of this thread. 

There are four wires going to the alternator.  A thick white wire, from the main positive output of the alternator.  This wire goes to the starter, to the same terminal on the starter solenoid the positive battery cable connects to.

The negative battery cable connects to the cylinder head, behind the a little below the fuel pump.  There is a pigtail that goes down to the alternator frame.  There is also a second black wire, that goes into the electrical harness.  This wire goes to the voltage regulator, and is connected to one of the bolts that hold the voltage regulator to the inner fender.  Both of these black grounding wires are very important.   If the engine or the alternator loses a ground connection to the inner fender, or frame of the truck, the ground connection will be made through the throttle cable, overheating it, and destroying it.

There are two small connections also on the alternator.  Make sure those connections on the alternator are marked "F" and "N"  The yellow wire goes to "N"  The white wire with a black stripe goes to "F".

You cannot put a jumper from the alternator to somewhere, because the alternator is externally regulated.  It needs the four wires to connect to the voltage regulator.  If you jump some wires around, and you get the alternator to work, it might be unregulated, and the alternator could put out way more than 12 volts.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Ok, so after the family trip, I decided to make one more trip by myself. I get almost home and my throttle sticks wide open. A little scary but I used my ignition kill and crank my way back. When I get it back in my shop I found this.

image_zpspqdygfah.jpeg

This is where this spring should hold the throttle closed but somehow I guess the spring wore a hole through the hole in the linkage and came off. Guess I'll rig something up to hold it in there.

Almost guarantee that is not the original spring. Probably just bought to replace a broken one and is too stiff. This will happen again.