Fabricated crossmembers.

scooter

Ive seen the fabbed crossmembers floating around for sale for motor swaps and such, i was wondering if anyone has tried making one out aluminum plate? Would it be worth making one for a weight reduction? Whats your thoughts?

Im looking for things to get the weight out of my car without making the inside look ghetto or like a race car.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Slightly off topic.  Years ago I decided to remove all the body deadener from my car (inlcuding what was on the underside).  I got approximately 7kg (15.4lbs) out of the car.

Other things:

Perspex/lexan windows

Smaller fuel tank

Lighter wheels

Lighter seat(s)

Different brake calipers (can also reduce unsprung weight)

Fibreglass bumper bars, bonnet, boot lid, guards

Lightweigh battery (Lithium batterys can be lighter than lead acid)

Take a big 5hit

Dont know about aluminium cross member.  Not saying it cant be done though.

Thanks for letting me know that lol...

Thats kinda what i had in mind, maybe make the cross plate flush with the bottom, i have no clue of the 510 crossmember has the same pivot height as s10 200sx, or the same width, bolt pattern etc...

Does one of you guys have dimensions for a 510 crossmember to crosscheck this?

The cxracing crossmember weighs 13 pounds, what does a stock one weigh?

Forget the cross member. Aluminum would have to be too thick for the same strength. Titanium but too costly and hard to work with.

Put battery in trunk or under car. There's over 5.8 Kg removed from the front and better placed to the rear.

I'm going to make a recessed box that comes down to Frame height under the back seat for the battery, and mount a fuel cell where the spare tire well is. it might not be much lighter,

But at least it'll get the weight back more and a lot lower in the car.

That should make for a lot more trunk room too.

I'm also thinking of ditching the leafs for a 3 link setup when I swap the rear diff.

Aaanndd the ugly and heavy as fuck stock bumpers are comming off, going to make some that are a little nicer and a lot lighter.

You need the regulators and handles on a 2dr. You could strip the rears of a 4 door.

The battery does not need to be a group 27 it can be much smaller and lighter.

Leaf springs are simpler and provide lateral support. Easy to add leaves for stiffness and blocks to lower the ride height.

Lighter 'mag' rims that are in a 14" or 15" size for more tire choices.

Lighten anything that is spun by the engine... lightened flywheel, aluminum tube driveshaft, mag rims.

Get a '78 or newer internally regulated alternator and get rid of the regulator.

• Like 1

I was looking at light batteries and that's going to happen, right now it has a heavy ass group 24 in it right now. If it was a real race car I would lexan the windows but not for the street :P

Continuing with the light weight theme, Whatcha think about aluminum hubs? Ermish sells them, I could probibly make them...

And this is still a street car? He sells those I'm assuming as a race track item probably not dot approved, because you hit a curb get a slight bend start to wobble, starts to wear the soft alum. One day you decide to open it up on the freeway 80-90-115 mph and BOOM your wheel is racing you now and is a Prius crushing torpedo... Just saying things can happen

Not to mention your car is nose diving to start to spin out of control hit pot hole and a slow motion tumble begins

And this is still a street car? He sells those I'm assuming as a race track item probably not dot approved, because you hit a curb get a slight bend start to wobble, starts to wear the soft alum. One day you decide to open it up on the freeway 80-90-115 mph and BOOM your wheel is racing you now and is a Prius crushing torpedo... Just saying things can happen

Not to mention your car is nose diving to start to spin out of control hit pot hole and a slow motion tumble begins

Good times....

• Like 1

Tendril, its more like a weekend warrior kind of car, im my experience with race car parts is that if theyre made properly theyre very tough.

Im not really worried about it not being dot approved.

This things pretty much a race car with glass, lights and liscence plates. No inspection rules or smog here :)

Im sure if i get pulled over by a cop on a bad day it wont be a good time, fuck it.. Its got "dot legal" tires on it haha.

If i could get fiberglass/carbon panels for the old 200sx, id buy them.

• Like 1

Like Datzenmike said move the battery to the trunk....better yet use a 15lb AMG Braile and take off 30 plus lbs....I'm doing this with my VG transplant. I'm almost to the installation point.....I'll post some pics this weekend as I'm starting the wiring and remote battery install.

Also upgrade to an aluminum radiator....probably at least 5lbs there.

Not much weight savings in the fiberglass fenders, but a glass hood without the inner stiffener and use hood pins.

Somebody mentioned seats...definitely a weight loss here with a race type seat.

Loosing the rear qtr glass is also pretty big, easy to make these out of slim lexan...rear glass has a flat enough profile that it can be done in thin lexan as well....don't want to do this with the front glass though...if going lexan up front it needs to be thick and treated.

Glass bumpers or none at all

Chip