72' L18 Timing tab on distributor?

72patbo620

Hey guys I am having a hard time finding info in regards to how many degrees are between each line on my distributor mounted timing marks.  Also, I am unfamiliar with how to time this setup so any direction is appreciated.  I am familiar with how to time using regular timing tabs and the mark on the pulley/balancer, but this doesn't have a tab, more like notches on the distributor? My understanding is that it is ideal to be 7 deg BTDC (Below Top Dead Center?) So retarded 7 degrees? 

20151124_202548.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You time your Datsun just like any other car. There are notches in the pulley on the end of the crank shaft dampener. 

If you don't have a manual for your truck yet, a good place to start is at the 620 source. From the home page, look for the "Quick Links" and select the one for L20B timing. All the info you need is in there. It has timing specs for L16 - L20.

Good luck.

• Like 1

You center the timing on the distributor.  Then you set the timing using the crankshaft pulley and timing pointer by the pulley.  Once that is done, you can adjust the timing retarded from factory specifications to compensate for low octane gas, or advanced for high altitude operation by using the distributor marking lines.

The lines on the distributor are just a reference you can use to go back to where it was timed before you made a temporary adjustment.

• Like 1