Stupid CA Laws Warning for Those Wanting to Import a Classic

Kyokutou

So I've been dealing with CA to get my RHD Dime registered.  So after 2 months of waiting for the CA DMV they sent me this letter.  The car is my daily driver and I can't afford to just park the car while I battle with the state.   All the research I found stated that as long as it was a pre-73 car I would be good.  Sucks I waited more then a year to get the car imported and I was really enjoying driving the car of the last 3 months.  I wanted to post this up so everyone would know.  Looks like I'm going to have to sell the car.

22885541599_1c5b7079be_b.jpg

21892758133_440072933e_b.jpg

20797230365_8a95e21a21_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I've been dealing with CA to get my RHD Dime registered.  So after 2 months of waiting for the CA DMV they sent me this letter.  The car is my daily driver and I can't afford to just park the car while I battle with the state.   All the research I found stated that as long as it was a pre-73 car I would be good.  Sucks I waited more then a year to get the car imported and I was really enjoying driving the car of the last 3 months.  I wanted to post this up so everyone would know.  Looks like I'm going to have to sell the car.

Register out of state...

• Like 1

G-dams that is a sweet 4-door bluebird! It's be a shame not to get that badboy in your name. I think the others have it right. CA must obey states rites. So if you can get it registered in another state, and that person sells it to you, I would think you'd be fine going back to teh DMV.

Hell my understanding is that in NH, all you need is a current bill of sale on an antique car. You don't even need a title.

oops! i thought you already knew this. would've warned you otherwise

too late as it's already in the Kaliphonya DMV computer now...

not sure if they'll let you register it even if you have an out of state bill of sale

anybody else wanting to do this DO NOT import to CA but do OR or WA instead

then hire an importer to handle everything

afterwards Kaliphonya DMV will treat the car as out of state and not hassle you

aka hoop jumping

• Like 2

not sure if they'll let you register it even if you have an out of state bill of sale

aka hoop jumping

I had an importing company in Canada get the car for me (importing the car to Canada first).  They had all the paperwork put together for me, but it seems CA still sees it as a direct import. 

aka hoop jumping

Have Anonymous wipe their records 

• Like 1

Why not contact CARB and see what they say? CARB and smog referees usually make an ''informed'' decision. My cousin had a swapped civic that had to go to a referee, the first one said no way in hell, he changed nothing and got a new appointment...second guy passed it. Its obviously a different situation but who knows, you could get lucky.

What the hell, smog restrictions from 1968? Was there even smog back then? I thought the 1975 law was in place because there wasn't a smog standard before that. 

This just feels like CA CARB bullshit. (They sent me a letter "politely" asking me to junk my wagon because someone complained about it blowing smoke near my old high school)

F**K of the mountain tops, what a shitty situation. That law makes zero sense when you consider there are NO restrictions on pre 73 US market cars that actually had smog control. Arbitrary as it is, I'm sure some panty waste legislator thinks he, or she saved the plant with that one.

Message sent from a helpful Oregon resident that lives here in SoCal. I have two options for you regarding your car you might be interested in. Hit me up, plenty of people on here can vouch that I'm a good guy that won't screw you over. #LoopHoles

• Like 2

What a frustrating situation you are in.

Are there any professional car importers in California?  Have you called them and asked for advice or to see if they offer a service whereby they handle the title process for you?

If I understand you and the others, licensing the car in another state first - that doesn't have it's panties in a twist about 1968 emissions requirements - would then allow you to bring the car into CA at a later date?

If that is the case, It does seam like a reasonable path to take.  Do you have a relative in another state that can put it in their name and then "gift" the car to you?  In WA, no one needs to see the car, just the paperwork.  I just brought in a bluebird and they needed the export certificate (japanese title transfer doc), bill of sale, and stamped customs form.  You pay tax here based on the cars value taken from a table in a book. (the guy I used was happy to use a 1972 510 4dr as the value after I told him it's basically the same car)

I wouldn't be surprised if you called JDM Legends in Utah, they might be able to offer out of state titling as a service too.   You should also ask them if any of their California customers have had issues bringing cars into CA after they have a title from another US state, just in case that does not get you out of the woods.

Might also be worth contacting James (the510keeper) as he has had at least a half dozen bluebird coupes.  Not sure if he titled any of the ones he imported though.

Good luck, I hope you find a way to keep your car.

--carter

By the way, we need to see more pictures of your cool car!

If you do sell, I'd love to know what you are asking/what you get.  I'm curious what the market is for these in the US.  Prices are getting out of hand in Japan but it'd be good to know if there is still room to move them here in the US after adding the cost of importing them.

--carter

So I've been dealing with CA to get my RHD Dime registered. So after 2 months of waiting for the CA DMV they sent me this letter. The car is my daily driver and I can't afford to just park the car while I battle with the state. All the research I found stated that as long as it was a pre-73 car I would be good. Sucks I waited more then a year to get the car imported and I was really enjoying driving the car of the last 3 months. I wanted to post this up so everyone would know. Looks like I'm going to have to sell the car.

I will be glad to hide it here in my garage for ya. Beautiful car I must say good luck hope you can get it worked out.
  • 3 weeks later...