My First 71 Datsun 1600 521 pickup Original

Slickk1One

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The round headlight is wired different than the square headlight, so you cannot just plug in the headlights and expect they will work.

Also the bright indicator light in the 521 dash will not likely work with the later harness, you will need to get a 2 wire plastic light socket that will fit in the 521 bright indicator hole, then use the two wires in the D21 harness to make it work, in the 521 the instrument cluster uses a ground to complete the circuit, in the 720 and likely the D21 there is no ground in the instrument cluster, and if you try to ground it out to make it work, nothing will work right, fact is that the headlights will start to faintly glow even though they are not on, email me and I will try to explain it better when you get to that point, I have done it 3 times now, and Charlie69 down by you has also done it.

Its going nice I also have started wiring & it is coming out Clean Will be shorting the factory D21 column & using gearbox from D21. May cut & weld the factory 521 steering arm. May use heater core from D21 in 521 dash but mainly need to wire up dash. I want to run the original dash but of the D21 harnesses. This will be fun...

• Like 1