My First 71 Datsun 1600 521 pickup Original

Slickk1One

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You do know that you cannot just transfer the disc brake parts from a hardbody(D21), 720, or 620 to your kingpin 521 chassis, it doesn't work that way.

If you want to make this easy, you need to put your cab onto that doner frame you have, it's a lot easier that way, you don't have to fabricate anything except a way to mount the cab/box.

You have a lot of work ahead of you if you are transferring everything, and the front brakes are going to be a nightmare unless you know what you are doing.

Did you buy a kit for the disc brakes from someone, did it come with upper and lower control arms and the spindles?

I have 3 trucks on modern 720 frames, one 520, and two 521s, I also have one 521 on a 521 frame, I have put a lot of work into all of them, but I spent the most time on front disc brakes on the 521 frame, it took me a few years to figure it out to the point where I was happy, and then I had to figure out how to put power steering on it also, I will never do that again, it has to many life long issues doing it that way, when if the 720 frame is used, you can bolt on everything, power steering, disc brakes are already there.

Another thing to do if you do use the D21 frame, keep all the identification numbers from your 521, and I mean all of them.

Okay sorry been busy getting this started I want it done as fast as I can.. so far I have the complete harness wiring everything front to back seriously haha I have the whole donar which was a running driving truck so I have everything from gauges to tank fuel lines brakes, all the goods so this is the truck http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/Slickk1one/library/Mobile%20Uploads
I want get this running ASAP lol I'll use my frame with the disk brakes swap but I have 33mm nissan turbo 300zx aluminum calipers & 02 Passport Rotors I heard I need spacers for the calipers on the caliper bracket?? What about rear disk conversation, I work at a Used Auto Parts Place With just about everything.. will the 02 Passport rear rotors work? I may re-drill the bolt pattern to use some forged 19" infinity wheels later

• Like 2

It'll get done believe me, my plans for brakes will end up going with Beebani Front caliper brackets, there is no rush plus i work at a Used Auto Parts store with access to a number of extra parts.. did i meantion Im a ASE Certified mechanic, Not master but heading there beside im a welder & love custom fabricating.. The truck was going to see a LS Swap But I decided to keep her nissan plus i hate carbs.. it is a basic truck i could just get running but there aint no fun in that

• Like 2

My other option is to shorten the D21 frame to match the wheel base but Im off thanksgiving soo Ill be sure to let you guys know exactly what I want to do.. appreciate all the help, this forum has grown on me lol but Keep the advice coming!! Who makes a rear disk conversation for the 521, & what parts should i keep an eye out for We have many toyota & mazda truck from 77-90? No nissans thou just the one i have..

• Like 1

My other option is to shorten the D21 frame to match the wheel base but Im off thanksgiving soo Ill be sure to let you guys know exactly what I want to do.. appreciate all the help, this forum has grown on me lol but Keep the advice coming!! Who makes a rear disk conversation for the 521, & what parts should i keep an eye out for We have many toyota & mazda truck from 77-90? No nissans thou just the one i have..

Beebani makes brackets for the 521/620 rear ends.

Silvermine .com also sells brake conversion parts/kits for the trucks. Front and back.

Both mentioned use pieces from the Isuzu line of passenger trucks/SUVs.

• Like 1

OK, so you do have a plan, that is good.

You would not necessarily need to modify the frame, although that might be the easiest, and you would not necessarily need to go as far as I did making a 521 kingcab, but if you could find another box, and if you took your time to do it right, you could likely combine two boxes to make one long box.

This is my kingcab 521 diesel with a stepside box, it was a lot of work.

DSCN0077.JPG

A longbox would likely not be that hard to make, the trick is to tack weld it together without warping the metal, I have done a lot of tack welding on my projects.

DSCN0105.JPG

• Like 1

Right Definitely a need in a bit of all my projects. .

SOOO I'm doing brakes using 91 300zx 30mm Aluminum calipers & 02 Passport Rotors, going with beebani brakes Front & Rear, I can get the 300zx Booster & Master? What are options for rear with this set up? Also have access to the 300zx brake lines &

Proportion in valve the works even fire wall set up if I wanted. I plan on welding a custom firewall for Booster/Master & clutch master & steering set up from the d21. ALSO want to use the d21 steering box!! Any one do this yet?

• Like 1