My First 71 Datsun 1600 521 pickup Original

Slickk1One

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it's do able. Transmission is different length so the driveshaft will need to be shortened. Trans mount modified to fit and probably the hole for the shifter moved. Keep the Z24i's engine brackets on the block but they should fit the rubber mounts on the 521. The Z24i has a higher output internally regulated alternator and a tight fit, in addition the 521 will need some small wiring changes as it was set up for an external regulator.  

Welcome to Ratsun    

• Like 1

Welcome.  If you have the complete hardbody truck consider doing a chassis swap.  This will give you the correct ratio rear end, disk front brakes, ball joint suspension, possible power steering and also AC.

I put a 1980 720 chassis under my 1966 520.  My build thread link is below in my signature.

We need pictures!!!  LOL

• Like 2

Well i heard from my own research that the hardbody is wider? Also i plan on retrofitting tank complete with all fuel lines. Im also going to cut out the firewall for a template to use the Brake booster. I have pics i just dont know how to upload them haha rookie i know..

• Like 1

There are differences in the720 and Hardbody (D21) chassis.  The D21 is said to be wider.  The 720 wheel centers are wider from side to side than the 520/521.  The 1980 720 rear end is approximately 2 3/4" wider than the 520 stock rear end.  The frames are within a 1/4" of being the same width outside the frame rails.  The spring perch centering holes are the same from 520 to D21 in the side to side measurement.  The front control arms are longer on the 720 and D21.

A torch and a welder can adjust some of the problems.

• Like 1

I suppose that it depends on if the 1989 D21 is wider than the 1986 Nissan 720, I think they are the same, but I could be wrong, I have seen a H190 rearend in a 1990 something, as I pulled an LSD out of it, but that H190 housing could have been wider.

It really depends on measuring to see if the front and rear wheels will be centered in the fender wells without leaving a big gap between the cab and box, if it doesn't measure out to within 2 inches..........................

I put a Datsun 520 on to a 1986 Nissan frame, I am able to use the stock wheels barely, but the truck has been lowered, and it also has been modified a lot, so the frame length didn't matter to me, I used a stock 1980 Datsun 720 wiring harness, I have power steering and power disc brakes, but it has been Frankensteined together, if I were to make a list of all the parts that came on other vehicles, you would have to scroll down the page to read them all.

DSCN3452.JPG

If it doesn't measure out, you likely just need to use your frame, but upgrades are totally custom, everything needs to be made/fabricated to have power steering, disc brakes, if you want power brakes, that has to be made, your stock e-brake bell-crank might be in the way, so that may need to be modified, it's a lot of work either way.

This is what I did for power brakes on my 521 with a Z24 engine, it's really tight/close to the clutch master, it's a modified pedestal from a late model 720 with a mid 80s Ford Courier booster I believe with the 720 brake master.

DSCN3972.JPG

DSCN3978.JPG

It's a lot of work doing what you are planning, to bad your not closer, it's not that hard to do things if you have a plan, it's very hard if you are making it up as you go.

I do have power steering on my 521 work truck with a 521 frame, but that takes a while to explain how I did it, I had to have a custom center link made, it was very expensive, custom parts suck!!!

• Like 2

Centering the front wheels front to back of the wheel wells is easy.  The rear wheels on my 66 520 with the 1980 chassis are to far back in the wheel wells.  There is 20 ways I can fix this:

First I can take the spring packs apart and on the main leaf drill a new centering whole to line up the wheels in the wheel wells.

Second spend $300 at a local spring shop and have a new main leaf made to center the wheels in the wheel wells.  at the same time the spring sop will de arch the springs to get the ride height where I want. also the spring sop will shim the spring pack to set the pinion angle correctly.

I will have this done as soon as I have the extra cash to do it.

Hard to see in this picture but the rear wheels are pushed to the rear of the wheel wells.  This is my 1966 520 on the 1980 720 chassis.

DSC02049.jpg

• Like 1

Charlie, I have seen drop blocks with adjustment holes in them, it could be moved forward or back a couple inches using these type of drop blocks, or an adapter could be made for the bottom of the drop block with adjustment holes(mini drop block, half inch thick?), but one can only go so far out of center of the leaf before the suspension doesn't work correctly anymore, and one would need to re-position the leaf mounts themselves.

This does require the drive line to be modified(shortened/lengthened), but what your going to do also does.

On my 70 521 that I dropped onto a 1985 regular cab chassis, I just left a slightly larger gap between the cab and the box, I fudged a little front and back, it doesn't look bad.

DSCN4063.JPG

Centering the front wheels front to back of the wheel wells is easy.  The rear wheels on my 66 520 with the 1980 chassis are to far back in the wheel wells.  There is 20 ways I can fix this:

First I can take the spring packs apart and on the main leaf drill a new centering whole to line up the wheels in the wheel wells.

Second spend $300 at a local spring shop and have a new main leaf made to center the wheels in the wheel wells.  at the same time the spring sop will de arch the springs to get the ride height where I want. also the spring sop will shim the spring pack to set the pinion angle correctly.

I will have this done as soon as I have the extra cash to do it.

Hard to see in this picture but the rear wheels are pushed to the rear of the wheel wells.  This is my 1966 520 on the 1980 720 chassis.

DSC02049.jpg

• Like 2

Well he did say 521 axles so I assume the backing plates and brakes would be included. The backing plate doesn't easily come off the axle.

Self adjusters were new on the '82 720 so not D-21 exclusive. Could probably retro fit them.

• Like 1

Okay sorry been busy getting this started I want it done as fast as I can.. so far I have the complete harness wiring everything front to back seriously haha I have the whole donar which was a running driving truck so I have everything from gauges to tank fuel lines brakes, all the goods so this is the truck http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/Slickk1one/library/Mobile%20Uploads

I want get this running ASAP lol I'll use my frame with the disk brakes swap but I have 33mm nissan turbo 300zx aluminum calipers & 02 Passport Rotors I heard I need spacers for the calipers on the caliper bracket?? What about rear disk conversation, I work at a Used Auto Parts Place With just about everything.. will the 02 Passport rear rotors work? I may re-drill the bolt pattern to use some forged 19" infinity wheels later

• Like 1