Who's got Catch Cans??

Busta Nut

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of you guys are too young to remember cars without PCV valves. The crankcase vented to air and cars with loads of blow-by would belch smoke out from under the engine bay.The small Ford 6's from the 60's had a vent pipe at the front of the engine that came out of the head and pointed at the ground. I've seen many a Ford Falcon stopped at a light puffing away.

Also made for big oily spots on the asphalt at stop lights and the reason why you never road your motorcycle in the center of the lane. 

• Like 3

You guys are both lost.  The whole catch can theory used to be accomplished just fine with a Pepsi bottle and a couple of wire ties.

There's a time and place for both. On a street rod, I'll take the vintage soda can. On a high performance car, I'll take the baffles.

Most of you guys are too young to remember cars without PCV valves. The crankcase vented to air and cars with loads of blow-by would belch smoke out from under the engine bay.The small Ford 6's from the 60's had a vent pipe at the front of the engine that came out of the head and pointed at the ground. I've seen many a Ford Falcon stopped at a light puffing away.

Also made for big oily spots on the asphalt at stop lights and the reason why you never road your motorcycle in the center of the lane. 

Road draft tubes actually work quite well when you're at speed. My 2003 Dodge Cummins has one. I don't like the smell at stop lights though.

Another way to accomplish the same thing is with your crankcase venting out through the exhaust. There are obvious pitfalls to this design though.

No mike , I'm not. Been building rod's for around 40 years.

A simple container , a wad of stainless steel wool , proper size fittings and hoses and you have a burp tank.

The wool replaces the need for a baffle.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...