Rebuild or Replace??

Hey Rats...  

So, a few weeks ago I started noticing that i'm getting a nice pillow of white smoke puffin out my tailpipe when i first start it up in the morning.  It lasts for about 5 minutes or so until the oil it's burning is gone, then clears up and everything is good to go.  No more smoke till the next morning, and sometimes it even goes a few days without any at all.  

I've had this happen before, namely on my previous 710 when i was just a young lad.   It ended up that the heads had a small crack, that eventually turned into a large crack, and then wham!  No engine...  

So, to stay ahead of the game this time, I'm debating if i should just have the A13 that's in there now rebuilt, or if I should look into replacing it with something a little more beefy, and something that has more replacement/maintenance parts available for it. 

I was thinking something in the L class  (L13, L14 ect..), nothing to crazy but enough to give me a little boost in power, and drive-ability.  Also, something that wouldn't require a crud ton of mods to take place, seeing as I'm on a limited budget and I'll probably have to enlist the help of friends/mechanics to help with the work.

Keep in mind, this is probably a year or two out, so I'm just trying to get ideas and figure out what i need to save up for a project of this size.

Thanks!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like valve guide seals need replacing. They are not that expensive and you can replace them yourself by pushing a couple of feet of 1/4" nylon rope (with knot on the end) into the spark plug hole and hand cranking the engine towards top dead center on the compression stroke. This will safely hold the valves in place while you remove the springs to get at the seals.

Oil runs down past the worn seals when sitting over night. When started, the heat makes it smoke until burned off. This might not cure it 100% because the rings may also be worn, but it might stop a lot of the smoking.

• Like 1

Check the coolant level in the radiator. Do that before the next time you start the engine.  You may be losing coolant, and if it is low, and you do not notice low coolant, and an over heated engine, you may be looking for a new engine sooner than you think.

Is the smoke white, or blue?  Does it have a sweet smell?

White smoke on start up is engine coolant. 

Blue smoke is burning oil.