Replacement Head

Datsun_Nett

So in doing the headgasket on my newly bought 720 i pulled it to find the previous guy ran it bad and melted the head between #3 and #4. Explains why it didnt run with that big of space other than a bad gasket. I got another head from a guy who seized his motor but the cam is very badly scored on 2 of the spots its held down. The rest are fine and so are all the lobes. But i dont feel itd be good to fun this head with the badly scored cam and seats and as the z24 has no bearing cant be fixed that i know of. So what would be a good place to order a replacement bare cylinder head that i can put my good cam and valve springs into is my question?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, where are you located?

If you are looking for a bare head.. that will be tough. If you just need a good usable one, I bet you could post an add in the classifieds and have a complete replacement on the way to you. Long story short.. I would just look for a suitable complete replacement. I guess if you wanted to put your cam in the replacement.. you could still do that.

• Like 1

If the head gasket blew between cylinders and you keep driving the exhaust will seesaw back and forth between them and erode the soft aluminum. If everything else is ok why not have a shop TIG weld the cavity to fill it. Probably have someone do it for a case of beer on the weekend. If small enough you could file or sand it down flat, or pay to have the head lightly milled.

• Like 1

Im located in Wisconsin and ill most likely see if i can find a friend whos good enough to weld it and i have a local shop to machine it flat after forming it close as i can. Just seeing what i have for options if i wanted a new one to replace it. For now i have a different head ill use with some slight scoring but it ran good and the lobes are all fine. Ill try and post pics of the melted spot later if i can figure it out. Might see about getting my second head repaired and then maybe get a cam and clean it all up to make an easy swap that adds a little performance and reliability. Also looking into the Weber 32/36 carb swap in the future.

Yeah cause the cheapest i can find a bare head is rockauto for $208. So I might just go to my local machine shop and see what theyd charge to weld and machine the original head for use again. I know its $50 to have the head milled flat. Dont know what theyd charge with having it welded, formed, and then machined flat in the end. But if its less that $200 its deff worth it to have them fix it.