What does Autonomous Car do when another car tries to run it off the road?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

datzenmike, on 15 Nov 2015 - 7:24 PM, said:

Autonomous cars that have only themselves on the road can go any speed they like but as MPG does not change there is no advantage to going fast. You could safely have 55MPH lane beside unlimited lanes. GPS locators, speed, throttle and steering/brake inputs and 360 degree radar would scan for objects and any changes. A mechanical failure would be about the only cause of an incursion into another lane. Weather would be factored in and speed auto adjusted. All cars would be connected and anticipate problems ahead by slowing and or changing lanes. A good idea would be to space cars well enough apart that a fast lane car could emergency decelerate and merge with the slow lane. A fast car capable of and doing 150 would inform the traffic ahead and they would begin spacing themselves wider as he came up from behind and resuming spacing after. Not everyone is going to be going 150 so a rare event. Emergency vehicles would automatically move all cars ahead to the right (or perhaps the left) but either way a clear empty lane as far as needed. Road damage or iaconsistent paving would be noted and stored locally, sent to approaching vehicles and they would adjust or move over to avoid. Foreign objects found would likewise be sent to highway maintenance for immediate removal.

On roads shared with ordinary drivers this would be a problem as the non autonomous cars are prone to incursions into the autonomous lane for many more reasons. Thus to limit incursion accidents the speed limit would have to be the same at least and likely they would be relegated to the slower right hand lane and a reduced rate.

I really can't see the two mixed unless there were some sort of semi autonomous control involved with feedback to the autonomous vehicles. Certainly a GPS so all 'nons' are located and speed and behavior known.

No one is going to become an AA member just because he doesn't drive as much.

Sounds like my 1967 RL411 would be restricked to my driveway! I'm not a nutcase, but I want to be a watchcase for the nut jobs that relay on technology rather than common sense [as stupid she he or she may be] to keep them alive! So,who would your surviving relatives be sued? The sound asleep or "impared" person in the steering wheel default "drivers seat" or Microsoft who sold the "driver soft" software to the auto manufacturer?

Sounds like my 1967 RL411 would be restricked to my driveway! I'm not a nutcase, but I want to be a watchcase for the nut jobs that relay on technology rather than common sense [as stupid she he or she may be] to keep them alive! So,who would your surviving relatives be sued? The sound asleep or "impared" person in the steering wheel default "drivers seat" or Microsoft who sold the "driver soft" software to the auto manufacturer?

There would have to be safeguards in place. As I have tried to state in my post. It isn't a matter of making one and turning it loose. Imagine human traffic going 10MPH and well spaced.... it would be very hard to have an accident. Now double the speed and try to double it again... at some point accidents are unavoidable. Now remove the human driver and you can safely speed this up even more. Unlike human control the autonomous vehicle 'sees' everything for kilometers around and all are interconnected and react as one.

Doesn't sound like much fun though. 

• Like 1

Hey, we're there already.  It's amazing.  People worship heroes in the movies, but when the government tells you to act like a cowardly victim, everyone embraces it.

Pathetic, soft, pussified, I would say we're done, and finally...

We're Doomed

I saw someone else saying this.  I think I started 20 years ago, but lately, what's the point of saying the obvious.

... wonder if I can get a gas tank gauge sending unit for my 620....

http://community.ratsun.net/classifieds/category/4-engine/?sort_key=date_added&sort_order=desc

Funny. Subtle.

Ironic.

Automated manufacturing is an example of mitigating human imperfection. Although not may people enjoy repetitive motion type labor, it was a huge part of our economic structure at one time. I don't know if we've become dumber because of it, but we have last valuable skill sets, and in turn have become more dependent upon machines to perform these tasks. If we have a generation who grows up with cars that drive for them, what happens if the system goes down? I understand what motivates our desire to mitigate human imperfection, but if we are to survive as a species, we must expand self reliance, not diminish it.

Did you ever see A.I.?  Remember the little light beings in the end?  They couldn't physically move a large object, they'd have to build something to do that.  Progress is a great thing to achieve, but at some point it will go too far and then we'll be wiped out by aliens or our own stupidity.  Personally, I hope they make a whole fleet of self-driving cars, because then someone will hack them to prove a point and there will be mass killings, further helping out our population issue!  ;)

Put big autopilot button on dash:

Having heart attach - push button, say hospital

Your car will be like riding public transit with out the smell, hopefully

That's if they fix all the voice recognition issues. Way shit works now, you'd wide up blue faced at the libery. 

Must not work on other peoples' cars; many make public transit smell like fresh lavender. People are disgusting.

fucking a, went and got in a car, now a pet peeve of mine is drinks without lids, anywho, look over, great oldass coffee with fucking furry mold...wait that a fucking drowned mouse...people are disgusting

IMG_2854_zpsvr1m8cvl.jpg

fucking a, went and got in a car, now a pet peeve of mine is drinks without lids, anywho, look over, great oldass coffee with fucking furry mold...wait that a fucking drowned mouse...people are disgusting

IMG_2854_zpsvr1m8cvl.jpg

Fucking wrong. I don't miss that kinda shit at all. B.O. stained interiors always made me gag.. Didn't even want to know who or what drove that heap into the shop..

When they gain enough critical mass, and the statistics show less fatal accidents in autonomous vehicles, a campaign against "drivers" will begin. They will be akin to smokers. They will be selfish, misguided, ignorant, etc. they will make it illegal zone by zone, small chunks of roadway with time restrictions at first. Eventually they will be hobby cars for enthusiasts only. Special race tracks for dinosaur burners. We may even witness this change in our lives. (Well maybe not Mike) but us normal aged folk. So enjoy your cars. The advance of tech is inevitable.

I was at one of the SuperFlow Advanced Engine Technology Conferences (was freebee, went as a friend's guest) and they had a keynote speaker - a woman auto racer that now was an uppity up in the EPA and check this out:  During the oil crisis in 1970's, the government seriously considered outlawing cars an developing mass transit.

Yeah.

They take the flesh off our bones if they could make political gains with it.

Aaaaa Skeletor!  What's hangin'?

• 2 weeks later...