Mirrors

Z-train

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are clamp on mirrors. I'm not sure on the laws concerning vehicles without seat belts and the pass side view mirrors. All cars NOW must have them. Just get those clamp onto the door sash kind, (both sides) no drilling.

The 620 has an optional side view mirror but (I think) only the driver's side. It's shape matches the shape of the 620 headlamp surrounds.  Very unlikely it was available for the pass side, but?

• Like 1

I know about the edge clamp on mirrors.  They've been around for a long time.  No really a fan.

I don't mind drilling holes in the doors for mirrors, but I'll ahve to make some kind of decision what kind to get.

I think there could be nothing cooler than a 620 with the stock mirrors on it - like how many of those have survived?  Major un-cobble-ness.

Then of course, what is the correct location on the door.  OCD, yes, I know.  Studebaker mirrors came with paper templates to show where to drill the holes.

Datzenmike, when you mentioned an optional side view mirror, did you mean as an upgrade from the standard equipment mirror or that standard equipment was NO mirror?

I got a reply for an inspection mechanic friend in PA, and they go by holes in the door.  If holes, you need the mirror.  No holes, no mirror required.  But I think that will vary from station to station.

Here is the much loved Stratovue mirror designed by Raymond Loewy that was used on the Avanti.  I might be inclined to put these on.  However, the thought of a mirror that had the "trapezoidal" circle shape like the early headlight stainless rings, would be really killer.

Stratovue__47780.1410466041.386.513.PNG?

Are these the OE mirrors (from Thailand and Singapore)  (EDIT:  No they are not OE)

s-l1600.jpg

or these which they claim are OE:  (EDIT:  I found another ratsun thread that indicates these are the correct OE mirrors)

s-l1600.jpg

Last one sort of looks like figure in parts manual:

620-122-01.jpg

• Like 1

Those D50 mirrors look OK, but around here D50's are very rare.  Maybe 1-2 per year show up on Craigslist.

I was going to use the black plastic ones I have which look similar, but the angle is off.

Hey, I've coughed up my spleen finding missing parts for this truck, might as well continue The Quest...

Oh, one thing about mirrors on the fenders, you have no field of view.  You actually want them as close to your eyes as possible to get the widest view, so that puts them on the door.

Ya, TEX has a lot of cool mirrors!

• Like 1

Hey, I still didn't get a clear answer if the base model did not have door mirrors - that they had to be ordered if you wanted them.  Yes?  No?

It's at the inspection station now and if they say it needs mirrors, I'll put up a polite, but determined argument if mirrors had to be ordered.

Rrr...

Now I'm OCDing OE mirrors...

• Like 1

Looks like there were driver side and the pass side was an option. At some point maybe the '80s? all vehicles had to have both mirrors but I don't know when that was. Trucks in general were late to get EFI and headrests. My '69 Bronco didn't have head rests but the '70 did

• Like 1

OK, so they all came with a driver's side mirror.  And that is the "common" one.  RHS ones are much more expensive.

Baby Tornado mirrors:  looks like the pics of the ones that I have that don't have enough "angle" in them (post #22) are a knockoff of the BT's.

I do like the clean look of them (mine included.) 

So I ahve a decision to make:  either mod mine and use or find other mirrors.

NOTE:  you know, somewhere in my Studebaker mirrors box, or some other even less findable place, I should have one of those clamp on mirrors - ew, putting "the screws" to the door skin crimp.... nasty! - but some glazing putty and all is forgiven - not so with holes.

• Like 1

Yes Datzenmike about body holes.

What would you do if you had no holes in your doors and you had to install mirrors for inspection (yes, they would not budge.)?

NOTE:  I read the actual regulations and they are not required, I called State Police and the guy I talked to said you had to have them but couldn't reference any regs to support that.  This whole inspection thing is RICO and I guess I'll just have to deal with it.

EDIT:  Are the PartShop2You mirrors in post #28 perhaps an Asian factory mirror? 

The pick of the Japanese ad for the 620 Lift Gate might possibly have those mirrors.  (that is in the bumper protector thread)

• Like 1

Qwik-have you "fitted" them to a 620?One of the issues with the 720 mirrors is the doors on the 620 are almost vertical(as opposed to a 720)and I would need to make a wedge shaped spacer/base so the top of the mirror will be horizontal to the truck.Appreciate all the pics keep'em coming.Mike-GM a-body?

Well, halfway. I got the passenger side on. I need to get some inserts for the screws on the drivers side. They were missing from the package of my mirrors that were in storage for decades. I never opened them to check.

Here are a couple of pics.

d1d28568481164d081cd98b4dc2da9e3_zps93pz

4c436793578804741eebb1eea7fc935c_zpsevcu

I installed it over the existing holes so positioning is not perfect but I think they look good.

• Like 1

I'm getting real confused about just what a stock base model mirror is for the 620.

There are full part numbers in the parts manual, 96301-B5510 and 96302-B5510, but

new-datsun-parts.com has what I thought were OEM, their CIN16/17 which look like the last pic in my post # 28, but they say it is for a 510-610-521 only. 

The one they say is for the PL620 is PL62022/3 which they call the Alternative Convex Mirror.

I sure can't hunt for an OE model if I don't know what it really looks like.

And where is Thailand when you need them...

• Like 1

Are they made of "un-obtainium"?

Maybe. I seem to remember seeing one or talking to Tdaaj about the 620 mirror. (it was a while back) My understanding was the the mirror resembled the shape of the headlight surround in the grill. 

Found it. They were fender mirrors probably JDM and not available here at the time...

DSCN1028.jpg

DSCN1026.jpg

• Like 3

Looks like OEM is #41 and last pic in #28.  However, it is not conclusive they are the same.  It looks like #41 post is narrower, but is most likely an illusion.  If I could find one of these, I'be drilling holes in the door.  I have enough pics to probably locate the mirror within 1/4" of where it is "supposed" to be.

hobospyder:  those eBay ads are like the next to last pic in #28 which is not OE, BUT there is a pic of the 620 w/lift gate in the Japanese ad where you can barely see a RHS mirror that could be like the next to last pic in #28 (partshop2you or something).  It is definitely not rectangular:  NOTE this is Japanese RH drive and hence no LH mirror in the other view:  What is also interesting is that this mirror is mounted much higher, above the fender line in the highly concave top portion of the door:

datsun_pickup_14.jpeg

datzenmike:  those probably JDM mirrors sure do have a mount that I can't visualize - do the white plastic cylindrical shapes live inside the door?  along with some other stuff probably?

I've been looking at mirrors in every ad I can find.  Most have no RHS mirrors but I'm trying to find a pic with no LHS mirror.  I have a good case to show the inspection guy that there are no RHS mirrors.

NOTE:  Regarding drilling holes in door, if the footprint of the OE mirror was known, other holes that could be hidden under OE mirrors would be acceptable.

65 Mustang mirrors are not bad looking but the bolt holes look pretty spaced apart, outside the OEM footprint???

s-l400.jpg

• Like 1

The ones Mike posted mount on the fenders

The ones I posted just look similar to a post Mike made and mount on doors.

From what I'm gathering out of what Mike is saying, they had stock door and fender mounting mirrors depending on option and market. If going for jdm grab the fender mirrors Mike posted, if usdm grab the ones I posted, may not be oe but they're nice and cheap and look to be of decent quality.

• Like 1

I Installed a WINK Mirror which passed inspection:

Details in my Build Thread (see my Signature).  So I guess I'll be trolling for OE mirrors.  Maybe I'll find some in a year or two (!)

RE: Fender mounted mirrors: 

While cool, they are useless with terrible field of view.  Think about it.  If you hold a mirror close to your face, you can see everything  behind you.  Fender mirrors you are looking in one direction with no field.

Mike's Posted Mirrors:

#44 are probably pure Unobtanium (the ones with the white plastic base cylinders - they look like the ones on the Tail Gate ad #45.  (I still don't see that "brown fuzzy blob" on the LHS upper LH small truck pic being a fender mounted mirror.)  The RHS mirror viewed from the rear just doesn't look like its on the fender - looks like door to me.)

#41 on the black custom appear to be the proper OE mirrors, right?  I think these are the only mirrors "worthy" of drilling holes in the doors.

These Mirrors Need a Name:  In fact, all these OE mirrors from different markets need a name so we know what we're talking about.

These mirrors (also in my pics @ #28) are not OE in any market, right?

I can't find any advertisement that shows these mirrors.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

the mirrors mike posted are fender mirrors that were probably jdm

the links to mirrors that i posted are not oe, at all. they're aftermarket that looked similar to the mirrors on the black truck posted above and could possibly be spun around so they have the same orientation as the mirrors on the same black truck posted above. was just a possibility. 

i was on my phone when i posted earlier and the smudge in the upper left of the picture i was thinking could possibly be a fender mirror looked like it could possibly be a fender mirror because ratsun mobile has no zoom. 

• Like 1