Buying a 210. What to look for?

Bates

Hi, new here, but not new to Nissans/Datsuns.  They are the only cars I have ever owned actually.  Quick list of my past cars before I get to my question:  97 Sentra GXE, 02 Sentra Spec-V, 86 300zx NA, 78 280Z, 76 280Z, 84 swapped 300zx Turbo, 90 240sx.  Currently I drive a highly modified Nissan Juke 6-speed.

An opportunity has arose in which I can purchase one of my all time favorite cars (actually a dream car of mine, I dream small lol).  A 1977 Honey Bee.  The car looks to be in amazing shape, straight body no rust, 80k miles, runs and drives very good.  I am looking at it tomorrow.  What are key things to look for on these cars, or should I just look it over like I would look over a S30?  Also, what is a good price for a good conditioned Honey Bee?  Thanks. 

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"The car looks to be in amazing shape, straight body no rust, 80k miles, runs and drives very good"... as you are looking at it tomorrow this must be what the owner says and maybe from a picture. Just verify and buy it.

Mileage... the speedometers only goes to 99,999 so 80,000 could also be 180,000, 280,000.... Best look at high wear items like the steering wheel, brake pedal, driver's door hinges (does the door drop when opened?) driver's seat wear, multiple replaced engine accessories like rebuilt/replaced alternator, fuel pump, rad, starter, carburetor. Any oil change stickers on the door jam? Any repair bills in the glove box?

Hi Bates and welcome to Ratsun.

Price.. what ever the market will bear.

Rarity.... being rare can command a higher price but on the negative side replacement parts are hard to find. Where they are less rare a good parts car can be worth having around. Then again, if in good shape as advertised, (baring accidents) you should have little problem with it.

Desirability/collectiveness ... If the owner knows it has desirability (look at what has happened recently to the 510) prices may go up although the car isn't really 'worth' it.

Investment.... Will this car increase in value? A sure increase will command a higher price.

Sentimental value.... some owners just can't get it through their heads that their 'bought new', had it for 40 years and three kids family B-210 isn't worth the $4,600 dollars it was when it was new or the $8,500 asking price now. On the other hand, the seller may just want to be reassured that their 'baby' will go to a good home and loving owner and price be damned.

Comparative price.... research similar B-210 or Datsun sales and the prices paid, but in your location. Might be cheaper to buy on left coast and drive it home. Look up the 'blue book' price or contact an insurance company to find the max payout for replacement.

So an update after seeing the car yesterday.  The pictures did it justice but as expected, they hid a few imperfections, but nothing major.  The car has no rot, and a couple of small rust spots that can be cleaned up no problem.  The car definitely was resprayed but it looks good.  My magnet showed no bondo on the quarters and rockers.  The interior was amazing.  The driver's seat had a split seam in the middle but some upholstery glue should fix that right up.  The engine fired right up, sounded very healthy, and the car shifted great.  Had fresh brakes in the front as well.  The door hinges were great, no sag at all.  Everything lined up right, all the instruments worked and the lights worked.  Hoses seemed okay, and not stock.  Tires were definitely old, and need to be replaced.  He said he has lots of paperwork for the car as well.  Made my offer and waiting to hear back from him this week.  I think the car is mine, in which case this forum will be my new home until I learn this car in and out.

I think if I get it, I am going to keep it stock, and try to add some JDM touches to it like the bumpers and fender mirrors.  I want it to be a cruiser for around town and to and from work in the Spring and Summer.  It will definitely get some attention at all the classic car nights in my area as they are 95% American, no love for the imports.

Hard to find, especially in the NE. I look all the time and I can count on one hand how many times a B210 came up on Craigslist in New England. Let alone one in Honey bee trim. Wish he had the honey comb hubcaps though! Good luck!

The price is high but all Datsuns in NJ are priced insane.  You should see what people ask for Z31s in my area, you would think they were dipped in gold.  I have seen rusty, automatic, digidash, 2+2 Z31s try to command over 5k.  I have seen gutted and rotted S30 shells go for 3k.  There is a caged 4dr 510 shell on CL right now, going for 3k (https://www.flickr.com/photos/84899840@N05/22223805826/in/album-72157657649040073/).  I sold my stock 90 S13 hatch for over 3k 2 years ago.  Prices on this coast are no joke.

But put it this way, if I don't buy this car I know what it is going to happen to it.  Someone of Latino heritage is going to buy it, they are going to rake it and most likely put a rotary or SR20 in it and completely ruin it.  I can't let that happen.  Not that I hate that kind of modding on these cars, but you do that to a car that has already been messed with or that isn't in as good of shape.  This is a survivor car and it should stay as original as possible.

**EDIT**  He just called me and told me someone offered him his asking price of $4200.  I told him there is no way I could pay that as the car is simply not worth anywhere near that price.

I seriously think that with a little patience, you can find something more affordable. Specially since you want to remove the "bench" bumpers, and add the fender mirrors.

I know the bumpers are ugly and heavy as hell, BUT that is what it makes the honey bee a honey bee. It's the only American B210 trim.

Same with the hubcaps. Those dog dish hubcaps are super hard to find. Trust me, it took me about 3 years to get a full set

Just my humble opinion.

Tell him to take it yet your original offer stands.

I did.  Thing is, I have a late model 87T Z31 lined up for me that is in pretty good shape with minimal rust for half the price (Z31 is my favorite Z).  So I think I just might go for that.  I miss being in a Z, and at least that thing can get out of its own way lol.