Racing engine build

Andres131313

Hey guys. With my engine build finally done im looking for a new fun project. I want to build a high HP engine that i can drop into my 510 from time to time to have some fun. (i know it doesn't sound practical but i just want to have my same engine in the car when driving the street and have a more powerful engine when going to the track). With that said i have done some research on engines to use and asked a few friends. The engines i have decided to look into more: turbo l20b, n/a z24 with an l series head, ka24de, or sr20de.

the turbo l20 is on the list because im familiar with it. not much power

z24 or z22. it would fit in the car easily. a little more power then what i have now

now the ka24de has a larger displacement and more power. What ive heard is that it shakes when getting to a high rpm that could shorten its life. the head can be modified to flow like an sr20 and the valve train is more stable then the sr20.

the sr20 has a smaller displacement. the shorter stroke can allow it to rev higher but the valve train is know to come apart ( what ive heard). apparently there are more after market and options for the sr20 then the KA.

So this is going to be a build thread.

what engine would you go with and why? note: my engine bay can fit all of theres engines with no problems.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

into my 510 from time to time to have some fun?

WTF?

How many cars you own? YOu rich?

Have garage?

Going from L to to LZ is OK as you dont need to swap cables also

SR/KA back to a L series dont make any sense

Just go stock SR then and keep it in.

How about buy another car done up already.

going by your previous write ups just stick with what you have and call it good

Save a junker L motor car/truck with what knowledge you have

• Like 1

You didn't say what type of racing you'd be doing. Drag racing, circle track, road course, autocross?

High performance engines are a commitment. They need constant love and attention to stay alive and healthy. Valvetrains get soft, bearings wear, tuning is super critical too. You can easily burn an engine down with improper tuning.

If you don't want to do a bunch of expensive maintenance, I would go with the old saying that there's no replacement for displacement. Install a warmed over KA24 with EFI. You can easily get 250hp out of one in mostly stock trim with some exhaust work, cams, porting and ECU tuning.

Personally, I like to open a 510 hood and see a L motor and my favorite L motor is the 2200, which is a 89mm bore, long rod Z20 with an L head. They rev easily and can make well over 200hp. That is a high maintenance motor though.

Based on your previous posts it sounds like you have a steep learning curve ahead of you, but keep at it. Nothing worth having comes easily.

• Like 2

into my 510 from time to time to have some fun?

WTF?

How many cars you own? YOu rich?

Have garage?

Going from L to to LZ is OK as you dont need to swap cables also

SR/KA back to a L series dont make any sense

Just go stock SR then and keep it in.

How about buy another car done up already.

going by your previous write ups just stick with what you have and call it good

Save a junker L motor car/truck with what knowledge you have

Ya ummm I have to still smog my car unlike you guys so it would have to be an engine that can go in and out.

I have the time to do stuff like that. I have the money to start working on it so it would be nice to have an engine just for the track.

It would be better to call it a 710, or Stanza than 510...

Based on your first post, you don't know what you want, and you don't know what each engine is actually capable of. You picked 4 wildly different motors and then tried to compare them... Do more research, figure out what you really want.

ok, so its all making a little more sense to me with the provided pics.... i dont see any machining equipment or dodge charger or the space for all that ... unless that is another house.

we can put this to rest if you would like, please?

i think you should keep the motor you have in your A10, and drive it for the next year and enjoy it and start saving monies for a race car and engine and turn your A10 into a parts runner or grocery getter which ever you prefer, 

with what you want to do you will be spending more time with your car apart then driving it....

or sell your charger  and buy a race car with the 8-10k you could easily get from old merican muscle 

• Like 1