L28 turbo options

Mr.Dean_Yates

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds more practical to me. Obviously I don't need a gigantic intercooler on the front of my car, nor do I want one, but how would I go about mounting the oil cooler? Is it best to put it outside the car like on the front bumper then intercooler? That makes sense to me since the oil gets the hottest and needs more cooler air running through it...

Look to the turbo oe designs to see what is most important for longevity and power. Heat is always the enemy, but some things make more important differences than others. These are listed in order of importance. Proper system design will have huge effects on efficiency and heat generation, so that's actually the most important. Turbo size, Wastegate size, piping diameter, cold air intake etc. Increase efficiency, reduce boost pressure and achieve the same power. None of the stuff people have listed technically increase power. They reduce detonation, so you can push harder, which makes more power.

1. Oil and water cooled turbo. Older turbos and many cheap ones aren't water cooled. Get one that is.

2. Intercooler. Bigger is not always better. Pressure drop from one side to the other can be a large amount. Size this to your build.

3. Oil cooler. Where the first two help control intake air charge temperature, this helps control engine temperature. its attacking the heat problem from another side.

So lockleaf, I want to build a carbureted blow through turbo l28 that will be running 10psi and driven on the street, track, long trips, etc. I'm looking to spend around 1500-2000 on this build as far as the motor goes. I'm going to do a smaller intercooler and a small oil cooler and I will try to find an oil cooled turbo. I want an oil cooled turbo because I've seen the inside of the water jackets in a water cooled turbo and it looks horrible. Oil cooled, imo, is a better choice. The intake I'm not even worried about, I've got a few people here that have done Holley blow throughs on small blocks and inline 6s. It's the actual turbo part that I need to know what these motors can take and how to keep it cool

You have your turbo cooling info backward. All turbos are "oil cooled" by the oil that is lubricating them. These turbos are known for a problem called coking, where oil turns to scary tar and destroys the guts.

Newer turbos are both oil cooled and water cooled. The water keeps the temperature of the turbo way down and significantly helps in the prevention of oil coking.

This also has the additional benefit of keeping the air charge a little cooler. The turbo won't impart quite as much heat to the air. You want the water cooling.

If you think water jackets are scary, look up oil coking. Then lookup Lee Iacocca and why he insisted that factory turbo charged cars had to have water cooling.

So I have decided that I will be doing this build over time. Buy the parts as I save for them seeing as I have a ton of bills, but in the mean time I will be doing other fun things like fabrication work and maybe make some goodies for everyone on here if they have an interest. But for now the turbo build will be pieced together from parts I buy individually. It come out as more expensive but I will try to find deals where I can. I'll keep you guys posted in the thread I start.

You can have that motor for a Grand even that becuase you are local and a Z guy!!Just save the headaches chasing down parts and I will send you to a guy here local to swap it for you ( http://sakuragarage.com )

Jamal

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/pts/5243885820.html