'78 B210 Strut Cutting and Lowering Questions:

5280Datsun

I would like to go low as possible.

Noob here and dont wanna mess something up and have learn a hard lesson, lots of work in 90's Nissan's but none on these old Dats.

I have been reading a lot on here and plan to lower the front like so:

Some MK1 golf inserts, coil over sleeves (or cut coils) and have some shaft collars on order as well. 

Is there any more details on cutting the strut tubes to stop it from bottoming out? 

The whole re-install of the strut insert and cutting the strut makes me nervous as I can't find "explain it to a 5 year old" example. Just a few cut the top with the threads, section it and weld it back on...

I found this example, but it appears that he "rebuilt or reused" the strut?

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/17682-my-island-74-710/?p=705884

Found this about the different inserts too:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/39512-strut-insert-and-rear-shock-guide/

As for the rear I plan on a new shock setup and flatten the leaf as the spring shop down the road.

Also anyone know if the roll center correction kits are worth a damn or if the 510 kits work?

BELOW IS THE THE RIGHT WAY.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/strut-sectioning-101-t237090.html

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The overall length of the zx strut tube is 410mm or 16 1/8". Measure your B-210 strut and the difference is how much drop you will get. On top of this you can safely lower another inch and a half if you increase the spring rate to reduce the chance of bottoming the strut. Stiffer the better.

Bolt 280zx struts on.

Instantly lower. Better brakes.

Not really an option at this point, although that is the goal, the household finance manager has limited funds for project #2.

The overall length of the zx strut tube is 410mm or 16 1/8". Measure your B-210 strut and the difference is how much drop you will get. On top of this you can safely lower another inch and a half if you increase the spring rate to reduce the chance of bottoming the strut. Stiffer the better.

Gotcha, so l literally just cut the strut tube? Isn't the tube threaded at the top and has a cap to hold the strut insert in? or is that not relevant since there is a whole new contained insert installed?

Like this, again, I swear I am not an idiot...

L83RPe3.jpg

I guess I can't find the proper information or pictures of it. All the guides, many from datzenmike, don't cut the strut. They just add a new insert or change the fluid, so I guess that is where I am confused. 

I have been searching for a week and haven't found any details for sectioning the strut housing.

I wasn't searching the right thing. I was searching Strut Shortening, not strut sectioning.

I did find this handy video and NICO thread:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/strut-sectioning-101-t237090.html

The zx strut tube is already shorter than your B-210 so no need to cut. As soon as you install it, it will be lower. If you use split collars you can adjust the height even lower BUT firm up the springs so there is less danger of bottoming the strut. You do not have to cut unless going insanely lower.

Not really much sense in only cutting and lowering the stock tubes. You don't get the monster zx calipers and the much larger vented rotors. For the cost of cutting and welding and new inserts just get x struts.