just a few random shots of '55 Chevy more-door

I bought this thing back in August but had tracked it for about two years. The previous owner had owned it since 2001. He bought it from the original owner's family. The mileage is supposed 120k and the pedals pretty much reflect that.

20151018_155752.jpg

the dents on the roof are from a massive hailstorm that caught the car out in the open in 1993. The previous owner owned a '55 Bel-Air two door hardtop, a '57 Bel-Air two door hardtop and a '56 Chevy wagon so this thing was way down on his list of priorities and I just ain't started bodywork yet.

here's the 235 straight six engine. the wires and the Accel yellow brick coil were today's projects. I previously installed a Pertronix lobe sensing electronic ignition a + NGK XR5 plugs.

20151028_165747.jpg

here's a pic of the oil pressure gauge with the 30w motor oil, just started in 60' weather after a 48' night. The Chevy guys says it's just about dead on where it needs to be.

20151015_110923.jpg

Transmission is a three-on-the-tree. I had many cars with this pattern before I married the first wife in 1988 but since she couldn't drive stick it seemed "unfair" to her to have a car she couldn't drive so I quit buying them. I forgot how much fun they are!

55waurika.jpg

20150812_200021.jpg

previous owner had replaced driver's quarter, hood, deck lid and lots of things that bolted on.

I knew something was up when he was kinda surprised that it made the 125 mile trip to my house without incident. sure enough, it got to where it would just die for no reason but restart quickly after it had cooled down. I found three wires running to the starter solenoid that all had super fine cracks in their insulation at about the same point. after I fixed those wires she never died again.

the dude who brought me into old cars had nearly an identical one. in 1982 (when I was 12), he taught me to drive column shift in it. this is him and a '57 he owned and and a shot of that '55.

boyd.jpg

boyds55.jpg

I'll add more pictures as time goes along.

• Like 2
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic