O bachan - 1972 Bluebird DX 4dr granny car

carterb

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone for their kind comments so far!

Fortunately, A major design review at work was postponed a day so rather than having to wait 'till afterwards to get the car, I went in first thing Wednesday to grab the documents and take them to the department of licensing to apply for a title.  While I was waiting for the bill of sale to be drafted up, I took some more pictures.

10212015_bluebird_pick_up_day_10_.JPG

10212015_bluebird_pick_up_day_11_.JPG

10212015_bluebird_pick_up_day_12_.JPG

10212015_bluebird_pick_up_day_13_.JPG

10212015_bluebird_pick_up_day_14_.JPG

10212015_bluebird_pick_up_day_15_.JPG

10212015_bluebird_pick_up_day_16_.JPG

10212015_bluebird_pick_up_day_2_.JPG

10212015_bluebird_pick_up_day_3_.JPG

10212015_bluebird_pick_up_day_4_.JPG

10212015_bluebird_pick_up_day_5_.JPG

10212015_bluebird_pick_up_day_6_.JPG

10212015_bluebird_pick_up_day_7_.JPG

10212015_bluebird_pick_up_day_8_.JPG

10212015_bluebird_pick_up_day_9_.JPG

• Like 5

Unfortunately, things didn't go well a the department of licensing.  The guy at the counter had to make phone calls and check instructions to verify each document.  I was SO close to being done when he contested that there was no "stamp" on the customs form.  It turns out the customs broker we used files the paperwork electronically.  The form says "Paperless" right on the top.  What that means is that there is no form with a stamp.  And Washington state law has not caught up with customs department's move to paperless documentation.

Slightly defeated, I went back and explained the situation to the importer who said he'd get in touch with his broker and see what we can do.

In the mean time, I wanted to at least get the car home.

While I was away, they discovered that the battery was dead so they had it on a charger for me.  Once unplugged and hood closed, I got in, started it up, and attempted to back out of the parking spot.

I say "attempted" because although I thought it was a 3 speed.  It has a 4 speed knob on the gearshift lever.  I figured what the heck and tried to put the tranny in reverse using the 4 speed markings as a guide but kept selecting a forward gear.  That confirmed to me it was indeed a 3 speed so I found reverse, backed out, and started for home.

It drives REALLY nice!  That 3rd gear must be tall though because you want to shift into it at about 25mph.

It has eventual brakes.  That is, you press down on the pedal and eventually feel some resistance, and then the car eventually stops.  I'm thinking the drums may need a little adjustment.

Brenda followed me and said it smokes a bit (blue) but all the lights worked.

10212015_drive_home_1_.JPG

I was happy to granny car home so she could hang out with her new datsun friends.

10212015_bluebird_has_landed.JPG

Then it was back to work!

• Like 2

Later in the day, I called the local customs office and they confirmed that I would need to get stamped papers before I can apply for a title.
  :no:

As of today, my importer is still working on this.  There is a possibility that I may have to take the car back to Tacoma and put it through customs again.  Seems awfully silly to me.  Fingers crossed that the broker can come through with revised paperwork for us.

• Like 1

Remember when I said I'd asked for some pictures of the container load to keep me updated and excited while granny car was in transit?

Well, I finally did get those photos, after the car was safely parked in my driveway.

I think it was a good thing actually.  The photos are a bit, um, scary...  I would have been worried the whole time!

japan_loading1JPG.JPG

japan_loading2.jpg

japan_loading3.jpg

japan_loading4.jpg

• Like 1