1978 Datsun B210 - Vintage Race Tribute Build Thread & Questions

5280Datsun

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. I've calmed down a bit...

Found a shop to rebuild the old OEM pressure plate and disk, a bit more, but it will be done tomorrow. That way I won't have to wait on shipping and can return the other one to the potential idiots at Exedy/Amazon that shipped and stamp the wrong part (TBD?)!

Anyway, they do all sorts of specialty clutches, they had some 66 Ferrari in there rebuilding the whole clutch too since the guy couldn't find one for 2 months! Best part is they are down the street!!

Theclutchplace.com

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, so, it's been a long cold road out here. 

I got my strut clamps to lower it, but it has been so damn cold and snowy, it's been tough.

Got out a few weeks ago with some other Datsun guys:

iSzSHgf.jpg

9d04hhD.jpg

Got some more vintage goodies:

Kol2Bnp.jpg

Last couple snow storms, got stuck this week and ordered some chains. My Toyo "all seasons" aren't that great in the snow and ice!

CgKZRvo.jpg

xJ43wR7.jpg

9MkHsUw.jpg

Got emissions done, 78-81 in CO need a sniffer test, which it passed with flying colors.

eEVTVqz.jpg

When the clutch got replaced the mechanic noticed the water pump leaking from the weeping hole (pre failure leak)

So I ordered a new pump, gasket, thermostat and belts while I am in there.

Also been having some WEIRD electrical issues, so I ordered a new voltage regulator as well to hopefully fix it. 

Weirdness included:

Random non-working Temp/Fuel

Dome Light randomly working

Dash lights dim, now they're not working

Running tails went out too, brake lights working.

Going to be replacing all that tomorrow at the local DIY Auto Repair.

• 2 months later...

Few updates:

Installed the VW MK1 lip-

UlcONWg.jpg

Removed bumper and covered it with sheet metal, plastidipped black until paint and new bumpers-

y8kHqdF.jpg

SLAMMED the front. Cut 2.5 coils and on factory struts... Rides fine on smooth road, but naturally, not much travel and bottoms out. Next is custom coil overs though and fender roll or flares (yeah, it rubs too and the liners are removed).

UlcONWg.jpg

nHMAgum.jpg

WchsJ8j.jpg

BEFORE:

70LAHpw.jpg

AFTER:

kzCZPb4.jpg

Thanks for looking! 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Here is the seals. These are form Advance Auto Parts.

PMMTTIs.jpg

wSt9phf.jpg

Installed:

Also got some little things in the mail and my clutch!!

Great info 5280...Just wanted to report on my experience with these Ameriseal window seals (for the rear pop-out windows). Similar to your report, it took some time to get the old surface cleaned up after removing the old brittle seals. Lots of black gunk underneath...I did the best i could and finally said "good enough!".

The Ameriseal seals fit perfectly, and the black channel trim looks almost identical to the original. I bought mine through the local NAPA.

Result: They look good, and block the road noise. Major improvement in that regard. However, water still leaks through to the inside, probably worse than it did before replacement. I think if the clamp could be adjusted to be tighter (i don't see any way to do that) it might make a difference. Not sure if anything else can be done.