16x9 wheels on stock sedan body 510

arabian_ryda

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr King Rat, They fit they dont rub, it handles like it should.

Ive made the necessary

Modifications to run the rim

And tire setup like this. On a stock body !!

You seem to still argue that it does not work (in your eyes)

My tires are not strected like the photo you posted.

Form And function are still present.

My post was directed at datsunfreak's posts above it.

12038493_10156014161025005_5715641367822

Well there is some camber to tilt the tire and rim in at the top at the back and yes the body IS going to hit the tire first. That rim is definitely outside the fender. Unless 400 pound springs on front and 1300 on back it will chew the rubber on turns and bumps.

Looks good sitting still.

the front has negative camber. but still a solid inch between the fender and tire. my front fenders are not rolled but will be trimmed so my tires dont catch the lip on steep inclines. 

as for going lower, i doubt it. not because of fitment issues but my downpipe is 2.5 inches off the ground and in the rear i need as much grip on the rear tires as possible. so cant go much lower (negative camber)

tire and rim clear the body fine in the rear. custom bump stops to help so it does not bottom out. springs are stiff but nothing crazy. i had 3 buddys sitting in the trunk and the tires didnt rub so fingers crossed.

Well either it clears or it doesn't.  Sitting still it clears? but with weight in the back it might not? Maybe my old eyes but it sure looks like the tire and rim are outside the fender in the picture above. Three people in the trunk isn't the same as hitting a dip or bump at speed. Like I said, looks good sitting still but lower needs to be stiffer and then there is no suspension travel left to soak up the bumps and it's no fun to drive. If you are on the bump stops or too close, then only the air in the tires is your 'suspension'. 16X9" is do able but very hard to get right and look right. 

Years ago I attended an autocross seminar put on by Dick Turner aand sponsored by BF Goodrich.

The maximum rim width for best grip was 90% of the tire section width. So if this holds true, a 225 section width maxes out at 8.0"

Just saying.

Correct, but we are function over form guys. This car will get a lot of attention at shows with this set up and thats what I belive he is going for. If he was trying for traction he wouldnt of stretched the tire because you cant air it down a few PSI without popping a bead.

I've heard a lot from guys who dislike stretched tires who feel along similar lines, but I'm curious about what these guys knew?

Gethin_1971_France_01_BC1.jpeg

80-Ferrari-312T5-num2-DV-11-MH-01.jpg

Or for that matter...

_65602433_lotus_getty.jpg

Personally, I like a mild stretch (not quite as much as the OP, more like that F1 car) for what it does from a performance standpoint. But that's me...

These tires are not stretched (Note the lip on the wheel is not exposed). If you go look at either of the cars in person, the sidewall of the tire is actually buldging past the outer limit of the wheel.  

First picture: The tires are under load because the car is activly cornering to the right, which makes the tire appeare to be stretched. Look at the tire on the other front wheel, you can clearly see it is buldging. 

Second picture: The tire appears to be stretched on the lotus because of the angle of the picture. Its no different then how fat people make themselves look thin on social meadia.      

• Like 1

These tires are not stretched (Note the lip on the wheel is not exposed). If you go look at either of the cars in person, the sidewall of the tire is actually buldging past the outer limit of the wheel.  

First picture: The tires are under load because the car is activly cornering to the right, which makes the tire appeare to be stretched. Look at the tire on the other front wheel, you can clearly see it is buldging. 

Second picture: The tire appears to be stretched on the lotus because of the angle of the picture. Its no different then how fat people make themselves look thin on social meadia.      

None of these photos were meant to be examples of stretched tires.   ^_^

They were in reference to this statement:

Years ago I attended an autocross seminar put on by Dick Turner aand sponsored by BF Goodrich.

The maximum rim width for best grip was 90% of the tire section width. So if this holds true, a 225 section width maxes out at 8.0"

None of those cars appear to have a tire section width that is at least 10% wider than the wheel.

since my last thread got locked due to some trolls. here is the installed photos like i promised. perfect fit. no flares, no rubbing, wheels dont hit on full steering lock.

setup details......

front - 16x8 - 0 offset - 215/40/16

rears - 16x9 - 0 offset - 225/40/16

12088587_10156025457785005_5739528015147

12038493_10156014161025005_5715641367822

Beautiful car.
  • 1 month later...