Charlie69's 1985 720 King Cab ST Parts Truck

Charlie69

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scrapped out a free 1985 720 standard cab truck today.  I got the sway bar set up for the ST that was missing.  and a few other parts for stock.  Chassis went to a friend for a 620 to use the front halve of the chassis.

Cab and bed go to scrap tomorrow.

Thank you Gene, Nathaniel, Nick, Tom, and the Guam Boys for giving me the truck.  Cab and bed will go to scrap tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Picked up a used like new windshield and rubber weatherstrip for a local wrecking yard yesterday for this truck.  Tom showed me how to pull it.

No pictures sorry.  I will take pictures after it is installed which will be after I get AZ DMV inspection and bond inspection done for the bonded title.

I need to get this one running and stopping good so I can work on my 86 720 King Cab daily.

• Like 1

That is why I decided to go forward with title process Mark.  I hope I can get this registered driving and stopping so it can go to it's new home in Bull Head City.

This truck will pull your boat and launch it just fine.  of course you know that from having a 720 before this.

• Like 1

Gene and I went to the PV U Pull it today to get some ST and Hardbody wheels he found last Thursday.  Well we get there and the wheels are gone.  So Gene shows me the 3 720s he found up there 1 - 86 4x4 King cab ST with sunroof and Power windows and door locks,  1 - 86 2WD King Cab, and 1 - 2WD standard cab.  The were pretty picked over.  Mostly stuff broken to get pocket items.  I hate this so we pull the electric doors.  The drivers door had the Isuzu mirror ripped off and thrown on the ground.  In the process of this the dented the shit out of the door they tore up the door panel and switch cover to get the door lock tumbler out.  They destroyed the window weatherstrips for some reason.  The passenger door was completely ripped apart.  The glass was in the bed of the truck, the power window  mechanism was laying in the truck cab.  The window weather stripping was tore up and in the bed, the door lock key cylinder was missing.

I had asked the cashier if there was any discount on the "complete door price" if the were damaged and missing parts.  Of course no discount.

So after pulling the doors, inventorying missing and damaged parts,  and loading them on a cart, I went to the other 2 720s in the yard and pulled the corner brackets for the front bumper, I got 2 lefts and a right.  Gene found and pulled me a good glove box door hinge, I pulled a left and right door lock cylinders, and some other small miscellaneous parts until I was satisfied with there "complete door price" and put all these parts inside the disassembled passenger door along with all the parts that went with that door.  We went and paid and left.

So now I own 2 sets of electric doors for my 86 King Cab and Mark's (PCD) soon to be 85 ST King Cab, or the other way around not sure as to which one I will keep. I have 1 complete power door 720 harness and on March 5th I will be back getting a second complete power door 720 harness.

I will keep both trucks with standard doors until Mark does all the body work needed on both sets of power doors.

It was a good day for me but I feel bad Gene did not get the wheels we went there for even after the cashier said he would hold them.

I shuffled my nephews 620 and the 85 kc around in my yard then proceeded to remove the front bumper, damaged valance and loosen up the radiator and a/c condenser so that way we can use the towbar that Charlies brother made so we can tow it to the inspection station on monday

• Like 2

Gene did it and I watched! LOL

Gene thank you for your help and patience yesterday.

The first and major step is done the level 2 inspection.  Because of the missing dash VIN the MVD DOT Officer had to put an AZ sticker on the B pillar above the Federal VIN tag. It has the Same number as the original VIN, it is called a duplicate VIN.  So as this truck sits now it is legal in the USA.

Now to get a bond for the title and get the title.

I went to a third party and she would not give me a straight cost, minimum $170.  I told here I would go else where.

I have to contact a bonding company that advertises on the web a minimum $75 bond.

I will keep looking until I find a reasonable bond.

Gene says I am cheap and in many ways I am.

While I was there I asked about my 1966 520 and the engine and frame swap.  The Officer told me that I need to bring it in and have the level 2 inspection done so I can get an AZ reconstruct title that will still be a 1966 title but will have the 1980 frame VIN and the 1976 Engine serial number.  This will make it legal in the USA and prevent me from any chance of having it impounded for non mating VINs and serial numbers.

I talked to the Bond Company today and I can get a bond for $75.  They also said I have to go back to MVD and get a list of hoops I have to jump through before I can get the bond.  She also informed me that MVD has to set a value on the truck and the bond is figured off of the value MVD sets.  The minimum cost for a bond is $75 and this covers a value up to $6600.  The NADA low book on this truck is $1500 hight is $3500.

Tomorrow morning I will be camped out on the Avondale MVD Office door at 7 am, they open at 8 am.  I will get the value set and the list of hoops I need to jump through.  I will get this titled ASAP. 

I will be at Gene's on Sunday morning working on this and Gene's nephews truck.  Gene seems to be having motivational problems getting work done on his nephews truck.

Trip 2 to MVD went in this morning first person in line.  Took the worker about an hour of slowly adding information into the computer and asking supervisor how to do everything involved with a bonded title. 

At the end she charged me $3 and gave me additional paper work that tells me I have to send 2 certified letters. One to the last registered owner asking for them to do 1 of 2 things. First for them to apply for a duplicate title and sign it off to me with a notary stamp and mail it back to me.  The other choice is to sign and notarize a power of attorney to me for the truck. 

The second certified letter goes to the person I purchased the truck from.  It asks them for a notarized statement saying they refuse to title the truck.

In both cases I have to wait 15 days for the replies.  If neither reply then I go back to the MVD and the set a value on the truck and I go get a bond.  return to MVD with the bond and get the title and plates.

If the last owner does either of the 2 choices given to them then I take either one to the MVD and get a title.  This would completely bypass the bonded title.

The person I bought the truck from sends me the notarized statement saying he refuses to title the truck, I take that to MVD with what ever I have or do not have from the last registered owner to MVD.

Now there is a catch to this if the certified letter is returned to me form the last known registered owners address with a new forwarding address for the last registered owner, I have to keep the returned letter unopened and send another certified letter to the last registered owners new address and wait another 15 days.  this can continue happening if the last registered owner moved a lot int he last 13 years and left forwarding addresses at each old address or post office.  This could be a lengthy process.

I am praying that both registered letters are ignored and then after 15 days form sending the certified letters I can get a value set purchase the bond and pay for the bonded title.

We will see how this goes.

I will mail the 2 certified letters in the morning.

Man, I love Utah. Abandoned title is fairly easy. Get the vin verified by a cop, he signs a a paper. Fill out three other pieces of paper. Take photos of the vehicle from all angles. Submit paperwork and photos. If dmv thinks it's worth more than $1000, you get a bond, usually less than $150 to get it.

Total cost usually under $250. 30 days to title.

• Like 1

Mailed the certified letters today, just under $14 in postage fees.

Gene, Tom, and I are headed to Prescott Valley U-Pick-It wrecking yard to get the wiring harness from the truck I got the power doors from.

Mark I am considering giving you my 1986 720 King Cab instead of this one.  It is and has been a reliable truck for me.  If I do give you the 86 I will put new front brake pads and rear brake shoes if needed and probably rebuild the front suspension with a wheel alignment.  A lube oil and filter change also.

I want to try to set you up with a dependable truck.