Exhaust Leaks from Headers

So Yeah I had an exhaust leak on the header flange, and the fat bottom washers were angled too much cause of the thickness difference between intake and exhaust manifolds. So a notch in each washer had to be made today. Simply with a grinder, hopefully it helps even out the squeezing distribution to be tighter.

20150911_191109_zpsuldwbyea.jpg

Made on all four washers about half ways and small amount, problem was the intake mani is slightly thicker then the header flange.

20151018_141956_zpsos5gjy7p.jpg

So When I put my headers back on after my tranny, these should do the trick.

Hopefully if this works it'll help out others too. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what was done with the washers on my Roadster when I installed the header (stock exhaust manifold was wasted, otherwise I would have used it).

My dad showed me that trick (he's an old school Datsun mechanic) So far, it's held up and not leaked.

• Like 1

"The legit way is to tack pads of proper thickness on the header flange."

Not really.

The legit way it to go back to the stock L-16 exhaust manifold that probably flows better anyway.

If you can find one. The stock L16 manifold with the split runners was hard to find 20 years ago. The later ones with the siamesed runners (inside the collector, above the flange) are much easier to find, but the crappy header probably makes more power.

I'd use either a cast manifold or buy a nice header. Cheap headers suck.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Unless backed up with cam, porting and larger or multi carbs, a header doesn't do much. A few hp at RPMs you never get to drive at. All exhaust manifolds breath just fine at moderate RPMs. On a 'built' engine they can offer some better high RPM breathing than the stock manifold. The money is way better spent on something else like an R-160 4.11 gears.

• Like 3