Strut mods(pic heavy)

mklotz70

Needed to clear up some space, so I ended up starting on the struts that are laying around here. I mainly need to get the springs off them, but I think I'll probably take the perches of too while I'm at it.

Don't expect this thread to get finished anytime soon. I'm putting this up for reference for now. Eventually, I'll finish the shortening. I originally planned on going with 210 springs cut down to 12", but coilover kits are so stinkin' cheap on ebay, I'll probably go with that. Yes....I have more struts than I can use at this point. At one time, I had 3 wagons here...now only two and the parts wgn will go away fairly soon.....I hope! Anyway......

..mmmmm...the holy grail of struts....the '87 200sx 5 lug. I have the rear rotors and calipers too. But, since I plan on running my snowflakes, I don't know if these will make on the wgn.

100_0164.jpg

Stock 510.

100_0165.jpg

280zx. The most commonly used strut.

100_0166.jpg

210 struts. Got these simply to use the perches and springs. Not sure I will now. The ones on the left are rear 510 sedan??? I think. No clue. They're either of a 300zx, 200sx or came with another pile of stuff I bought years ago.

100_0167.jpg

300zx struts. No use for them. The hubs rotors will fit the 200sx stuff, but the angles are way off to try to use on a 510. So...they make good practice fodder.

100_0168.jpg

Gotta have the 5 lug spare if you're gonna do the swap.

100_0169.jpg

The rest of these are of the 300zx strut on the lathe. Pretty much self explanatory.

100_0173.jpg

100_0206.jpg

100_0207.jpg

100_0211.jpg

100_0212.jpg

100_0214.jpg

100_0216.jpg

100_0221.jpg

100_0223.jpg

100_0224.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2eDeYe;86954'']I need a lathe... :D

Yea, I don't know how any of you guys work on your cars without a lathe & mill, They come so handy, I did the cutting of the struts for a friend a couple years ago, he just watched in wonder as I cut them off. Like it was something special to him, Just another day in the shop for me :D

I have seen a couple of ways of separating the perch from the tube, but I basically wanted to see how it went on the lathe. I ended up having to do the final clean up with the die grinder because the tube wasn't perfectly round.

My favorite part about datsuns right now is that they give me the excuse to fire up some of these tools. If I start coming up with other excuses, I probably won't need the datsuns around :)

Took some other pics...more for reference.

Stock 510 compared to the 300zx.

100_0225.jpg

100_0228.jpg

280zx compared to the 300zx(shorter). I plan on shortening my tubes to use the 300zx insert, which is the same length as the MR2 rear that everyone raves about. I don't need fancy adjustable inserts, so cheaper is better.

100_0229.jpg

The basic dimensions of the spindle are the same...you can put the larger 300 hub/rotor onto the 280 spindle.....but you'd have to make a bracket for the caliper.

100_0230.jpg

100_0231.jpg

The 300 spring perch above the 280.

100_0233.jpg

...and above the 510.

100_0234.jpg

The 280 insert in the 300 tube.

100_0235.jpg

The 280 insert in the 510 tube. This is another reason the 280 stuff is a popular mod....the most bang for the buck.

100_0236.jpg

The method of removing the perch that intrigued me the most was a simple hacksaw. Cutting just above the weld, around the circumference of the perch, it separates it quite cleanly. It's also very controllable. Once you have the perch off, you can then use the grinder to remove the weld.

I need to get these cleaned up a bit and then finish the valve cover..........man do I get sidetracked easily!!!! :)

I need at lathe that isn't in Long Beach...got everything else here though!

You have a lathe, but it's in long beach? Kinda hard to operate the controls from there, but at least you don't get chips stuck in your shoes :)

Finally got around to pulling all the springs off. Still have a lot of perches to cut off, but it's a start.

Not much to post...just a couple of pics....mainly so that I don't end up with a huge pile of them later. Spent an hour or so chasing tools and parts to proceed with this project. Sure hope it goes easier than the valve cover!!!

Sure wish I had more shop!!!

100_0241.jpg

This is the HF compressor. Works okay....not completely thrilled with it. Was a lot easier once I clamped it in the vise. It's like it's not aligned or welded together right. Oh well...you get what you pay for :(

100_0245.jpg

100_0247.jpg

Yeehaw! New 280zx inserts....still pop right back up from the gas charge :) Of course, I have NIB inserts sitting in the shed. In fact, if any of the local guys want to trade a pair of brand new, never mounted 280zx inserts for some 300zx inserts, I'd be up for it. PM me about it.

100_0248.jpg

Not sure what the plans are tomorrow....might get to play with them some more.

This is great, Now I can just follow your post to do mine, I did a couple sets before but it's been ten years. Now I can just come back to your post if I f mine up. I'll add my pics to your post when I get started.

This is the HF compressor. Works okay....not completely thrilled with it. Was a lot easier once I clamped it in the vise. It's like it's not aligned or welded together right. Oh well...you get what you pay for :(

100_0245.jpg

100_0247.jpg

QUOTE]

Mike, All of that style strut compressors are floppy like that. At work we call that compressor "The jaws of death". Something about them makes it feel like the spring is going to come flying out at any moment, yet i have never seen one come out.

Jason

I should have been fixing the exhaust leak on the van....or working on the rain gutters.....or....or..........many other things!!! This was a 100% complete waste of time....which explains why I enjoyed it so much! :)

Okay...I got this idea from this thread.....

http://www.kustomcoachwerks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2063&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I did it a bit differently since both sets of inserts I have still have life in them. Anyway......more pics :)

The short ones are the 300's...the long are 210. I'll be messing with the 300 since the goal is short.

100_0294.jpg

So, yesterday, I bought a nice big tubing cutter just for this project. HF= $20. I could have used the lathe, but on thin wall tubing...this was much more predictable....at least for me.

I cut 3". I used the lathe chuck to hold it...I did not use it under power!!!

100_0297.jpg

100_0298.jpg

100_0299.jpg

100_0300.jpg

Moving on to the shaft...I center drilled the end so I could use the live center for support. Then I simply recut the diameters 3" down the shaft.

100_0302.jpg

100_0303.jpg

100_0305.jpg

100_0306.jpg

100_0307.jpg

If I had a 14x1.5mm die, I could have cut the threads at this point, but this is just for play anyway....so I wasn't going to worry about threads or the flat spot that keeps it from turning in the top hat.

100_0308.jpg

mmmmm....shorter :) Doesn't actually do much for me....but Ice can't go low enough....I basically did this to put a smile on his face.

100_0309.jpg

tapped the valve back into the tube...

100_0310.jpg

...put the top back on...inner tube complete :)

100_0311.jpg

Then moved on to the strut housing. I simply used the lathe to mark off 3" exactly. Had I set up the steady rest, I could have cut it on the lathe, but the saw is a lot faster. The vertical mark is so that I can line the tube back up. The saw is not a accurate cut like the lathe, so I wanted to keep the tube in the same orientation for each cut. Then, if there was any slant to the cuts, they would be parallel and line back up when the scribe mark is lined up. Using the lathe to bevel the end of the tube for welding was a lot nicer than trying to get the bevel with the grinder or belt sander :)

100_0319.jpg

100_0320.jpg

100_0321.jpg

100_0322.jpg

100_0323.jpg

100_0324.jpg

100_0327.jpg

100_0328.jpg

100_0329.jpg

100_0330.jpg

100_0331.jpg

Edited by mklotz70

hehehe....hit the 30 image limit...had to start another....

100_0332.jpg

100_0333.jpg

100_0334.jpg

mmmm....toys....I mean tools.......okay...toyls! :)

100_0335.jpg

100_0337.jpg

After all the fighting I did with the AL on the valve cover.....welding steel was a nice break. I'm still not very good, but this was for play anyway....wasn't worried about it. Got good penetration on about half of it. The hardest part is that my eyes don't like to work up close anymore. I'm having a hard time getting close enough to see the arc/puddle and still focus on it :(

100_0339.jpg

100_0341.jpg

100_0343.jpg

100_0344.jpg

100_0345.jpg

WARNING: DO NOT DO THIS MOD UNLESS YOU ARE USING INSERTS LIKE THE KOACHWERKS SITE!!!!! The inserts basically double the wall thickness and therefore the strength. This was just for play! Just to do it! So, don't try doing this to original struts. Of course, I don't recommend doing it at all...I just wanted to try it.

Edited by mklotz70

Mike, All of that style strut compressors are floppy like that. At work we call that compressor "The jaws of death". Something about them makes it feel like the spring is going to come flying out at any moment, yet i have never seen one come out.

Jason

Actually, it's not floppy enough. It binds. It's like one set of hooks slope the wrong way. It doesn't like to release when the bolt is loosed. It still beats using the two separate bolts and hooks, but it's not well designed.