New owner of 520

lightz

Hi,

I have been looking in Canada for few years for a 520 truck and finally found one about two year ago but the guy was reluctant, then one day he was ready to sell and now i have 1968 520 in my garage. it had small hit in the front so looking for small bit. 

IMG_6126_zpsot7cjidb.jpg

IMG_6124_zpsqvgpbua2.jpg

IMG_6138_zpsbeisofvv.jpg

IMG_6134_zpsqditkvql.jpg

IMG_6135_zpshntoxexj.jpg

• Like 4
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Ratsun lightz. Hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving dinner in T.O. Man a 520 must be rare as rocking horse shit out there. I know, I owned a 521 back in the '70s and it was a constant battle putting patches on it. I was out there several years ago and had fuel tank problems on my 620. No wrecking yard had anything older than the '90s. Everything before that was scrapped. What I do at home is keep my eyes open when passing alleys and back yards.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for warm welcome and thanks i wll contact the other member Charlie69. datzenmike, thankgiving was great it was nice to walk out on the street of T.O and there is no traffic: its  hard to find any old parts down here, scrap yards have nothing unless you are lucky one day. 

• Like 1

Hey fellas I'm thinking of buying a 1967 Datsun 520 that I found little rough around the edges needs some work I am wondering if any big guys own these trucks and how much rooms inside ? The truck is not near me so kinda wondering what inside of one of these is like

• Like 1

Hey fellas I'm thinking of buying a 1967 Datsun 520 that I found little rough around the edges needs some work I am wondering if any big guys own these trucks and how much rooms inside ? The truck is not near me so kinda wondering what inside of one of these is like

I'm 6' 3" and fit just fine in my 520.

• Like 1

They look like 521 spindle dog bones to me(spindle assemblies), the reason I say this is because the lower bushing area looks like this on the 320 and early 520.

DSCN4798.JPG

See how the lower connection is counter sunk for the seal, the 521 lower bushing area looks like your parts, with a ridge that actually sticks out, at least that is what I believe, I don't have a 521 dog bone around here to take a photo of.

Your parts will fit on just about any year 320/520/521 king pin front end, you just need to keep the different year assemblies together with the lower control arm(LCA) mount bolts, as they are made differently than the early 320 mount bolts, 320 lower control arms, 320 bolts, 520/521 lower control arms, 520/521 mount bolts.

Also the 320 LCA shock mounts are about 7/8ths inch wide inside, while the 520/521 shock mounts are about 1 1/4" inside, much easier to find shocks for the 520/521 than the 320.

• Like 1

Thanks for the information, now i have to decide if i am going change it to front disc. Does it stop ok with drums?

There are two components to this... 1) the actual stopping-- it's a 2200# truck, so it stops fairly well considering non-power assist drums.  However, disc brakes stop better; and 2) the radial nature of drums creates a tendency for them to "stick" when applied (you're pressing them outward on a rotating mass that wants to hang onto them).  Disc brakes press axially (you're pinching them together against a rotating mass that is less inclined to hang onto the pads when you release the pedal).  I've experienced the "stiction" lockup in the Datsun drums to be particularly annoying.  With disc brakes, that will go away (on the disc axle, but of course, not on the drum axle).

/2 cents

...and +1000 for mklotz brake kit

• Like 1