1985 720 Throttle stuck wide open

1985 4x4

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok it's Wednesday already, I have had only 1 lead on another carb for my 85 4x4 , I am borrowing a vw bug until Friday, looks to be a broken return spring and it it sounds like there are not many of these carbs laying around, Any leads would be great.

Thank You for all the views and insight so far with my truck. A weber conversion might be coming 

• Like 1

You need to stop referring to it as a carb. It is a throttle body. Calling it by the wrong will continue to confuse the issue.

If the only thing wrong is a spring, why dont you just find a spring that does the job. Doesn't matter if it's Nissans part or not.

Also,that throttle body can be found on any 4 cylinder pathfinder or hardbody truck up through 1989.

• Like 1

Where is the spring broken????? On the end????

Pull the trunnion off and have a better look.......bend a 90+ degree on the end of the spring and hook it back up. who cares if there is a little more tension.

Or......as a temp fix just get a long spring and hook it up to the trunnion and or, (closer to the throttle body the better) until you can find the correct one.

• Like 2

nope not fixed, haven't found another throttle body for one, the local shop wanted almost as much as a weber conversion...I really am waiting now to see if I can come up with something. Throttle body stuff. I will learn how to fix it sooner or later then never have the problem again. The more I learn on my truck though the better off I will be. Don't ever plan on selling it. I am sure the talented mechanical guys on here get frustrated with newer guys like me ...it is what it is though I appreciate the help I have gotten

plan on messing with it more tomorrow afternoon

• Like 1

yes the basics ,took a week off from the truck since the frustration of a simple thing is killing me, tried several springs at different points to help with the pivot. Seems to have snapped then it over clocked when it snapped back. I will update you guys over the weekend might just swap it for a weber set up for now. 

• Like 1

Starting the Weber switch over today, of course it will create more questions. So if someone can send me a link I was unable to find it on the site about how to fix the fuel pressure problem and there was another issue that pops up for a 85 with EFI  thanks

Weber conversion??? Got to be easier to get a return spring from any other Z24i or VG30i 720 or D21 Hardbody. It's just a spring.

First you fuel pressure is too high. You need another fuel pump with about 3PSI output

The intake will need an home made adapter or an earlier Z24 carb manifold that will take a weber.

The Z24i distributor isn't, it's actually a crank angle sensor (CAS) and needs the EFI to generate a timed pulse for the coil. You will need an earlier Z24 distributor.

• Like 1

Yes thats what is not funny about this tried several different ways with return springs there is something else going on. I love my truck but I have to get her going...frustrating and I wish I had more mechanical expertise. I joined this site for help and I also drive mine daily and at times I feel like crap because of some of the comments made..I just cannot do what others do and know,maybe someday I will be able to help others here and pay it forward.

I thank everyone for the help

• Like 1

1985 4x4 we all started somewhere with our learning also.  I have been working on and owning Datsun & Nissan trucks since the 70s.  I do not know much at all about these throttle body injection engines, but I do want to learn. 

I will read through the Electronic Injection Factory Service Manual I have and see if it has any mention of your problem.  I am sorry I did not think of this sooner.  When I have the time I will copy this rare manual and save it in PDF form and post it on the web for any that might need it.

The hardbodies and pathfinders up thru 1989 have the same throttle body.

I'll pull my air cleaner off of my Pathfinder tomorrow and get some pics for the setup. It has a torsional spring for the return IIRC... So you may want to make sure the ends are seated properly.

Here's a link on the components.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/23251-tbi-component-listing-loctaions/?do=findComment&comment=765960

• Like 2