No tail lights and blown fuses

slamurai

Hi Ratsun. Being that this is my first post, i wanted to say thanks in advance to everybody. This forum is full of helpful people and I appreciate all the help. Now onto the issue.

I just recently acquired a 1971 510 wagon. I got most of the mechanicals sorted but discovered that only the pass side turn signal works, no brake or running lights. The fuses were all good yesterday untill I tried the horn and cycled the hazard switch off and on like it was suggested in other threads. That's when I noticed the horn and hazard fuses blew. Now, the pass turn signal doesn't work. I understand that the tail light curcuit is on the horn fuse circuit. All the bulbs look good but I didn't test them. I was looking around under the dash and found a broken ground wire attached to the steering column bracket but I couldn't find out where it goes. Does anybody know where this gound attaches too? Once I ground that, I can move onto troubleshooting the rest. There's plenty of info on the tail light issue that will keep me busy for a while. I am soaking the fuse block in vinegar right now so that's one less thing to worry about. I'm not an electrical whizz but I know enough to be dangerous. Thanks again in advance.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Icehouse " on here is the wire god.

He told me theres a C clip splice up by the fuse box under the tape that causes the brawk lights not to work some times.

PM him for more infor.

Dude this is a nice wagon. Mint to me. dont be hacking up wires and suck. keep stock as possibel and we will help you figure this out.

I think this should be in a gagrage

where the wipers?

wagons use a 6 wire turn signal switch. sedans us a 4 wire.

ck the bulbs closley

if anything its a corrossion issue

Ok datzenmike. Horn works, scared the shit out of myself and the hazards now work too without blowing any fuses. Looks like the vinegar trick worked. I now have brake lights and turn signals minus the flash. However, I don't have any rear running lights when I turn on the headlights. The front running lights and head lights work. Also, I forgot to mention that the CHG light on the dash stays on when the car is running. I unplugged the battery while idling and the car did not stall which tells me the alt is at least charging.

Thanks for the nice comments banzai and cruznude. I plan on keeping it stock. Pretty observant on the windshield wipers. I am making a parts list as I go through the car so that i can make one wtb post in the classifieds. As always, thanks everbody for the help.

Found the ground wires in the back. Looks like a jumper from the tail light to the side marker light. Both sides look good and intact. So to sum up,

1. Front and rear turn signals come on but don't flash or signal, just stay constantly on

2. Head lights and front marker lights work but I get nothing in the rear.

3. CHG light stays on in the dash.

Everything else seems to work. Going to take a flasher out of my z to put in the wagon and see if the turn signals function. Dont know what to do about the rear lights and CHG...

CHG light stays on in the dash.

this is the first thing to FIX otherwise the rest might not work,

get a volt meter and see what its charging to.  be be alt or the volt reg bad.

fix this charge light first then see what happens. Im hoping it will fix the blinker portion of this proplem. as it need enought current to get the blnker can bimetal  strip tto click

this is awesome and can keep in cig lighter and dont drain battery. Idiot proof. also cks for overcharging wich is most likely a bad volt reg

http://innova.com/en-US/Product/Detail/3721

• Like 1

15.25 is kinda high.

put on the lights and measure if still the same high voltage. If yes the the volt reg is causeing a overvolt and will cook the battery and acid will leak out.

if the voltage loads down to a lower voltage as you put things on then I will assume the volt reg and alternator is good.

I had a few old USA made volt regs overvolt on me. and even a solid state one I popped doing a motor change I didn't ground the wire right or mount it chassis wise (went bad) it over volts and put heater and lights and and still over volts.

mike say replace flaser unit but you can swap the 2 under neath and see if it changes

I appreciate all the help and advice.

The voltage dropped to 14.5 with the headlights on so its good but maybe to high? Will buy a new flasher unit if needed after I do the swap trick.

Was hoping it was overcharging to make the CHG stay on. I might buy a voltage reg on rock auto. They had some for $40.

Ok, quick update. Brought a friend over to look at the issues. He found an almost sheared rear wiring harness that goes to the back lights. The wires were cut by the heater controls near the gas pedal. The alt was bad and made the chg light come on and the blinkers not blinking were due to a bad blinker can. Thanks to all that helped.