glutin ( Glutton ) for punishment 720 restoration......

Boxcar

The fridge came from a wrecked out camper I acquired for $50 . It was rather soggy....... But the appliances had been used very little. Yes it's a 3 way.

Most of the components , IE: windows , lights , appliances came from that rig. After stripping it I had to pay $50 at the dump to be rid of the carcass.

$100 was a deal for all of the cool vintage fixtures I ended up with.  

The GVRW for the truck is 4660 The rig across the scales, with topper , my normal gear and my fat ass is 2900 . This leaves 1760 lbs.

I think I will be fine..

Thanks for the heads up Mike.

The truck came to me with a Helwig rear suspension upgrade ( overload spring kit ) and a set of Firestone air bags.

Minus the air bags this is the same system I ended up running on the standard cab 720 that my wife and I ran under the Paris Valley in the early 90's.

That camper after upgrades was just over 1000 lbs.

She won no races but handled the load fine.

A few progress pics: 

p_002.jpg
\
Added some light to the subject......

p_004.jpg

The 30 amp distribution system is inside this box.

p_007.jpg

p_006.jpg

p_008.jpg
  • Like 3
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks big.

A man of few words...... It'll fly ( sed Orvill to Willber )

Yea. It looks bigger on screen than it actual is. 

From the deck it's just over 6' tall 6'3" wide and 13' long.

I can still pick up the front end by myself.........And dude, I'm old...... And obviously by the dimensions, less then 6' tall.

Thanks Charlie. It's a super fun build...

p_001.jpg?1

Started skinning the bunk room today.
I call it the Knotty room......
p_002.jpg

p_003.jpg
p_004.jpg

• Like 2

This thing has been a bucket of fun to build so far.

It has , however destroyed my shop. It's a pig pen.

Had to use my mill the other day. Took me 30 min just to get all of the wood dust cleaned off before I could use it. Dust is everywhere.

And my head, it is always spinning. So many new processes running through it all at the same time... Steel , welding , wood , gluing , drilling , tapping , countersinking , 12 volt , 110 volt ,cabinet making ( not one of my strong points )  panel cutting and fitting , appliance repair. And of course fabrics for the damn curtains and dinette ,

FUCK!!!!!!!! MY HEAD IS GOING TO EXPLODE........, Fun.

At least I won't have to rent a motel room at Blue lake or Canby  this year ( if I finally make it ) ....

I'm starting to look forward to getting back to the truck build part of this project.

Pretty sure the little 720 is going to need some major bacon rubbed on it to get it to the point where I am happy with it.

Great. More shit added to the goard. Head spinning again....... More fun....

• Like 2

Finished up the LPG locker the  battery bay and the removable rear panel  yesterday.

Once my water tank shows up I'll be able to finish up the plumbing / wiring .

I then plan to seal the entire unit ( externally ) with polyurethane clear before I add the ridged insulation and then the aluminum skin.

I'm starting to see the end of the tunnel. 

p_004.jpg

p_006.jpg

p_007.jpg

p_010.jpg
  • Like 2
Loading capacity is only 500Kg about 1,100 pounds. This may or may not exceed the GVWRating for the year of 4x4. You're ok as long as you aren't sent to a scales.

Time for me to eat some shit.....

I weighed the truck a few weeks ago at a friends log yard. Got a weight of 2900lbs . Thought every thing was fine.

Yesterday while driving back from Cannon beach I saw that the scales were open in Warrenton .

It's been bothering me that Mike thought the truck was so much heavier than I  so I whipped  her across the ( state owned and calibrated ) scales.

OOOOOOOOOPS! 

Truck ,full tank of fuel , topper , 2 dogs , tool box,  wife and I actually weighed a whopping 4300 lbs. By my math that's an 800lb load .

That puts the truck at 3500 lbs dry. Now add everything back in but the topper and I am around 4100 lbs wet. 

Houston we have a problem. Mikes right, I will be avoiding scales. 

On a good note I have never been asked to cross  a scale in an rv.

Bad news is : That doesn't mean that I  won't be asked in the future.

Again with the good news: Thankfully I live in Oregon , where no one seems to care......

Sorry for doubting you Mike...... 

• Like 1

Made a bit of progress over the past few days. 

The last 2 doors ( hanging locker and stereo cabinet )

p_001.jpg

Started building the teak water locker cover / upper bunk step  .

Because it is a grate it should allow the water locker to breath well.

p_005.jpg

And started shooting the exterior with a coat of polyurethane clear.

This will seal the back side of the wood panels as well as add the final finish to the steel chassis prier to insulating and final skinning.

p_006.jpg

p_008.jpg

My best friend had to add his opinion. 
I guess he likes it, he didn't shit on the floor.....

p_004.jpg
  • Like 3

Yes he is a good dog.  A gift from my daughter a few years ago.

He's a funny guy.

Managed to get a bit done yesterday between other jobs.

The wife decided that the appliances needed to be black and copper.

I love hammerite. It stick's to everything.

The water tank was delivered yesterday as well. 

The fit was perfect. Worth the wait . 

It's taking a while to load pics to USE .com.  I'll have to post them later.

• Like 1

New pic's ....

p_001.jpg?1

p_003.jpg

I'm not to happy with the wife's choice. But she's happy with it and it's a small thing that really  
doesn't matter. 

I did get all of the wiring buttoned up yesterday and will be moving on to the plumbing today.
Seems like a lot of work just to have a rolling wet bar.......
  • Like 1

Awesome project you have there. I'm surprised you didn't buy that camper you posted pics of.  It would have been much less work fixing that one than building

a new one right?  Yours will be far stronger than anything factory built. That metal frame is incredible. It's metal and not aluminum right?

This thing reminds me of the old datsun motorhomes that were built on the 620 and 720 chassis.

• Like 1

The one listed was pulled from Craig's list in early Dec. Due to massive quantities of snow up in the great white north.( Canada ). The owner promises to re-list it in the spring.

By the time I got a passport , made the 400 mile drive ( through the snow ) and returned with sed camper and then did all of the repairs and upgrades that a 35 year old wood framed unit would require. It just didn't pencil out.

Nice little rig though.

Yes the frame is .065 steel. 1x1 and 1x2"

The motorhomes of the 70's and 80's were kind of inspirational to this build. Most were ( unfortunately ) rather poorly built and have not lasted.

Thanks for the interest and positive comments.

• Like 2

Truck ,full tank of fuel , topper , 2 dogs , tool box,  wife and I actually weighed a whopping 4300 lbs. By my math that's an 800lb load .

That puts the truck at 3500 lbs dry. Now add everything back in but the topper and I am around 4100 lbs wet. 

Houston we have a problem. Mikes right, I will be avoiding scales. 

On a good note I have never been asked to cross  a scale in an rv.

Bad news is : That doesn't mean that I  won't be asked in the future.

Again with the good news: Thankfully I live in Oregon , where no one seems to care......

Sorry for doubting you Mike......

Just make sure the springs don't look like they are sagging and the tires are large enough to more than support the weight and no one will even look. But if swaying from side to side and the headlights are aimed into the tree tops....

• Like 2

No shit . That'd be a dead give away....

Truck has a set of  Helwig adjustable overloads , air bags and 10 ply E rated tires on it.

The belly ( frame ) camper mounts should alleviate a good part of the sway issue.

Started sanding out the interior today . Going to let the wife take over the finish sanding , staining and finish work . She's a wiz at it.

Mean while I will start buttoning up the exterior.  

• Like 2

Thanks 2D . It's been a fun project so far.

Spent the day at Home Despot and the fabric store with the wife , picking out flooring , stain color , Formica and fabrics.

I found what I want for the upholstery.... Gator skin . Vinyl of cores .

The wife ant thrilled with the idea,to say the least.......

I think it'd be cool.

• Like 3