Burning smell

Scgreen620

So I was driving home today when I almost got home I smelled a burned plastic .. I was worried because I've never smelled that burning plastic smell.... I checked the dip stick and my luck I had oil under the "l" letter on the dipstick .. I opened the oil cap and it smelled a little bit of that plastic smell ..

My question is has anyone ever had that smell and then found out a head gasket problem or the motor dying ? Help .. Thanks

Btw it's the lb20

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not luck that keeps oil in your engine it's keeping track of your oil consumption all the time.

The head gasket has no plastic in it and any 'smell' inside the engine would pass out the exhaust behind you. Most likely something on the outside of the engine. First place to look would be the hot exhaust. Did a plastic bag blow up off the road and stick to the hot exhaust manifold? or anything else? Any foreign matter stuck to the warm rad? Coolant level OK is there maybe a small leak? Any fuel leaks at pump, lines or the carb?

Maybe someone was burning garbage and you drove through the cloud???

• Like 1

Oil doesn't smell like burning plastic ,,,,,,,,, Really old oil that never gets changed that has been cooked onto the head,,,,,,,,,,, smells alot like plastic though...   ?  Have you ever taken the valve cover off and looked at the top of the head??  Is there a thick black crust of shit on everything?

Oil doesn't smell like burning plastic ,,,,,,,,, Really old oil that never gets changed that has been cooked onto the head,,,,,,,,,,, smells alot like plastic though...   ?  Have you ever taken the valve cover off and looked at the top of the head??  Is there a thick black crust of shit on everything?

Yes I have and no not crusty just regular brownish color ..

There are a few parts inside the engine that could smell like plastic if they failed. Some of the timing set or a melting seal for instance, but these are so far out there that it's just hypothetical talk.

Wires...? Has anybody mentioned wiring? Did you see smoke anywhere? Bad grounds and high amps (headlights on) can heat up wires to the point where the plastic smells, but does not melt all the way.

Without seeing the car (hint...pics) I would venture to guess that it's either oil smudge on the exterior of the engine or trans that's getting hot, or wiring, or a mouse that bult a nest in the exhaust.

Has it been running poorly? Does it run hot? Have you perfomed any major (or minor) work just leading up to the smell? How do your brakes work? Does the clutch engage/disengage smoothly?

• Like 2

Everyone experiences and explains things how they 'see' it. Smells can be interpreted as something else. Plastic may simply be the closest similar smell you can think of.

Small coolant leak. Antifreeze has a strange odor.

Valve cover hose not attached to air filter housing. Engine blow-by getting out

Valve cover oil leak onto hot exhaust?

Fusible link melted, melted?

Small fuel leak.

Slipping clutch? smells like burnt brakes.

Dragging front brake (may be rears also)... over heated brake pads stick. Take for 20 minute drive and feel the rim to see if too hot to tough.

Transmission boot loose and normal smells getting in.

There are a few parts inside the engine that could smell like plastic if they failed. Some of the timing set or a melting seal for instance, but these are so far out there that it's just hypothetical talk.

Wires...? Has anybody mentioned wiring? Did you see smoke anywhere? Bad grounds and high amps (headlights on) can heat up wires to the point where the plastic smells, but does not melt all the way.

Without seeing the car (hint...pics) I would venture to guess that it's either oil smudge on the exterior of the engine or trans that's getting hot, or wiring, or a mouse that bult a nest in the exhaust.

Has it been running poorly? Does it run hot? Have you perfomed any major (or minor) work just leading up to the smell? How do your brakes work? Does the clutch engage/disengage smoothly?

The brakes are spongy I'm not going to lie.. My clutch is beautiful .. It doesn't run hot but the cabin inside gets pretty hot idk if that would have something to do with it

Everyone experiences and explains things how they 'see' it. Smells can be interpreted as something else. Plastic may simply be the closest similar smell you can think of.

Small coolant leak. Antifreeze has a strange odor.

Valve cover hose not attached to air filter housing. Engine blow-by getting out

Valve cover oil leak onto hot exhaust?

Fusible link melted, melted?

Small fuel leak.

Slipping clutch? smells like burnt brakes.

Dragging front brake (may be rears also)... over heated brake pads stick. Take for 20 minute drive and feel the rim to see if too hot to tough.

Transmission boot loose and normal smells getting in.

It can be the brakes... I posted on the brake section that my truck pulls to the left and I have not checked the brakes .. I know I know I'm fucking up but I have not found time to fix it ...