Possibly Joining the Collective, Please Help!

faultymechanics

Hi Guys!

I may be coming into a 720 off of a trade and I am wondering what the value is off the 720. I am trading a 1992 Jetta turbodiesel that I have shelled quite a few pennies into and I want to make sure I am not getting a scrap heap in trade.

Here is the link to the ad, he said since the ad he has had the frame sandblasted and painted with rustoleum black and some other crap (which I am not too keen on but if it was sandblasted, who cares).

I can't weld yet but this would probably be a great truck to learn how on. He said he tried to bondo the rockers but it didn't come out well (obviously). Hes willing to throw in 150 bucks on top of his nissan for my Jetta.

Like I said I have no idea if this is worth it but I have wanted a nissan/ datsun truck for a while. I think a nice lowered truck with a good stance would be a blast. Just afraid the rust may be out of control or I am being ripped off.

Link is here: http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/5229155108.html

Thanks guys!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks don't enter into this.  g/f's looks don't count for much when the lights go out. If it doesn't run or run well how it looks doesn't matter much.  

Does it start and run?

Does it restart when hot?

Does it over heat or run hot?

Will it run on the highway?

Speedometer work?

All gears work?

Transmission quiet? out of gear in neutral?

Quiet with clutch pedal down? 

Speedometer work?

wipers work?

heater work? all speeds???

signals and ALL lights work? high beams??

any broken glass?

alternator light off when running?

Do the brakes work? repeatedly? several hard stops out on the highway?

Do they pull to one side? make strange noises?

Is the pedal soft spongy? Do you have to pump more than once to stop?

E brake work? will it hold the vehicle on a hill?

Does it steer straight?

Front tires unevenly worn on insides or outside?

Does steering wheel vibrate? is there side to side play in the steering wheel?

Does the truck sit level across the front?

• Like 3

Man this list of questions is valuable for any classic bought. I was just worried that there is a point on these trucks where the body can be too far gone. Not worried about looks, I could totally go for a ratsun by the time this is done. Rat-Truck frankenstein kinda deal. I just don't want it falling apart. Thanks for the questions though, basically gave him your list and said go.

• Like 1

Check on the price of a bed with tail lights.

I just bought a 1985 720 king cab for $200 without a title.

1985%20720%20ST%202.jpg

1985%20720%20ST%201.jpg

The other thing to consider is location. I'm not too worried about a bed, In fact I'd like to do a wood bed or maybe something a bit more creative. Anywho, I am located in Vt and it is nigh impossible to find an old nissan/datsun truck in New England. That kingcab you got though looks to be in mint body shape. Send it my way, I don't need a title!

• Like 1

Looks kinda like a piece of crap to me,,,,  BUT,, let us see your hoopty ,, (inside and out )  and tells us what repairs it needs so we can help with telling you if it is a fair trade for you or not....... You will lose your high fuel mileage ,, i know that for a fact.

i'm not trying to call you out or anything,, hell i know alot of guys on this forum drive a diesel VW for their daily so am sure most will give honest opinion ..

• Like 1

Here's my money dump: http://burlington.craigslist.org/cto/5238566454.html

Thanks for the help guys, hard part with my jetta is I've put a ton of money into fixing it mechanically but the rust is a drawback for many. Thus i've had to curtail my asking price several times. Also not looking for fuel economy anymore, I daily a new TDI jetta and get 55mpg :)

• Like 2

If you've got a second car then I'd ask for money on top and do the trade. Your car is obviously in better shape, but that truck could be put back into good shape with a few minor things (well besides a bed, I guess a bed isn't very minor).

• Like 1

If you've got a second car then I'd ask for money on top and do the trade. Your car is obviously in better shape, but that truck could be put back into good shape with a few minor things (well besides a bed, I guess a bed isn't very minor).

Well did you see the extra photos in my Photobucket? I'm not sure mine is in better shape? So far he is willing to add 150 bucks on top which is negligible. My Jetta definitely has rust repairs in its future.

**Also was going to build a bed from wood. I imagine it could save me some money? And not be too difficult, I'm a very handy person.

• Like 1

I found this one in PA - http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/5212304834.html

This one in VA (looks nice) - http://easternshore.craigslist.org/cto/5214902553.html

This one in NY - http://rochester.craigslist.org/cto/5258061900.html

I don't think the one without a bed is a good deal.

• Like 1

I found this one in PA - http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/5212304834.html

This one in VA (looks nice) - http://easternshore.craigslist.org/cto/5214902553.html

This one in NY - http://rochester.craigslist.org/cto/5258061900.html

I don't think the one without a bed is a good deal.

Second one is way out of my league for a trade. That needs to be kept in mind, what I am offering for a trade that is. The other problem with the one in NY is that he put a bunch of stuff in the truck but has no idea if it will really run. I'm very leary of engine swaps in anything. Amateur work is exactly as described, amateur.

I'm not looking for a mint truck, I just want to know the value is there, I'm not totally shooting myself in the foot and that I'll be able to fix the nissan up reasonably. As I said the lack of Bed doesn't really bother me. Most metal bed on trucks are the least desirable part for me. This is more than likely going to be a toy as opposed to a workhorse and actually being used as a truck. Though I may haul a mini bike, or quad around in it at some point. Or tow something small with it.

**Most of all I'm curious as to why you don't like the one without a bed

Thanks for the help so far guys!

• Like 2

Well first of all, it's missing the bed. Second is all the rust. I know you said it had been blasted, but rust goes everywhere so what about the parts that haven't been blasted? The cab rockers look a bit worse for wear too.

I didn't say I didn't like it, just that it doesn't sem like a good deal at $1000.

If it's just going to be a toy, something to tinker with, go for it.

• Like 1

Well first of all, it's missing the bed. Second is all the rust. I know you said it had been blasted, but rust goes everywhere so what about the parts that haven't been blasted? The cab rockers look a bit worse for wear too.

I didn't say I didn't like it, just that it doesn't sem like a good deal at $1000.

If it's just going to be a toy, something to tinker with, go for it.

I gotcha, yeah those are basically the reasons I'm kicking the deal around. I feel like I would definitely be trading down, but am I getting fleeced is my main question. Doesn't seem like it though, but again not an even trade.

• Like 1

Do you feel good about it? Is the truck in substantially good enough condition that is seems like a toy to you? Do you expect to get your money back out eventually or are you getting a toy with no concern for resale?

If it's a toy in good enough shape you feel good about the trade, you aren't getting hosed. If you like it, done.

• Like 1

Do you feel good about it? Is the truck in substantially good enough condition that is seems like a toy to you? Do you expect to get your money back out eventually or are you getting a toy with no concern for resale?

If it's a toy in good enough shape you feel good about the trade, you aren't getting hosed. If you like it, done.

Nw I am just waiting on more photos and a bit more info on it to really make that decision. If it is set mechanically and it just needs some body love, I can be happy with that. I just don't want a clusterfuck of a project sitting in my driveway putting me further back than the jetta did. I feel like there is much more listed that the jetta needs then what this truck needs to be a fun toy. Though I may be wrong.

I'm assuming these are very simple machines to work on.

• Like 1

Thanks for the questions though, basically gave him your list and said go.

What does this mean?

These questions are for you to check out and answer not the owner... he'll just say they're "all fine runs good, don't worry about it" You're going to have to drive this thing and see how things really are. If there is any excuse that you can't drive it, how will you know the brakes work, transmission quiet, steering is ok? If you are not getting an accurate feel for this, then you are basically buying a non running body because that all you can see..

• Like 1

Lol, I need him to answer those questions first because I'm not having him drive 2 hours to my address for a truck that isn't what I think it is.

If he lies about any of the questions and I find differently when he brings it up here then I just turn him around and send him home. This is more of a thing to benefit the seller so I don't waste his time.

I've been buying and selling cars for years, I know what I'm doing....just not specifically related to this model of vehicle.

After reading your ad i don't really know... Since you have a newer TDI that throws that argument against trading away..... I would say  if the truck starts up easily when cold,,,  runs and drives goodand you like sitting in it,, , it's about a wash really..  If you can get more than $150. bucks outta the guy by reminding him fuel prices will no doubt go through the roof again ,, so much the better.   I kept both my nieces and nephews beat-up  jettas rolling for them in high school and through their college years on a shoestring,,  so i know the truck couldn't be more rattly and glitchy than a VW.

The real question is............

What's with all the badass jeeps???  Holy chit man!!

• Like 2

The jepp is my baby. Its a 1985 Jeep Cj7 with a 1968 Chevy 327. It sits on 35" tires and is an absolute monster. Dont go fast but it could rip and oak tree out of the ground. I'm currently finishing up a rebuild on the motor and a bunch of other parts replacements.

The cabrio is a very rare 1979 BMW 320/6 Baur. Very special kind of convertible. Also was lucky enough to have the baby 6 in it with a 4 speed. Probably my favorite car I've ever driven. There was some body damage repaired incorrectly with a gallon of bondo and I couldn't fix it. I sold it to a shop doing a full resto on it. Miss it everyday.

• Like 1