ignition solenoid repair?

Kytoaster

Hey again guys!

So, it got down below 50f here in ky recently, and...my wheel cylinders didn't like it. In fact, they kind of exploded as soon as I hit my brakes while it was cool outside. 

No big deal, new wheel cylinders all around are on the way.

However....I went to move the 620...and the key didn't do anything.

First thought: Battery died due to cold.

Lights work, battery is good. 

I jiggled the key, and voila! it worked!

Then, I breathed, and it didn't.

It's completely worn out, I tried for 10 minutes to get the key in JUST the right position to let it start with no luck. I checked the wiring as well, it's in surprisingly good shape.

Is there a way I can disassemble it and clean the contacts without breaking it? I didn't want to force anything and potentially damage it, but would much rather open it up and keep the oem switch vs replacing it with a $20 switch from a local auto parts store (I like the idea of keeping as much stuff OEM as I can).

If I'm dreaming let me know. I need to get this fixed FAST...pretty wife backed into her this morning (she's at the end of the single car wide driveway and I can't move it because 1) no brakes and 2) no ignition 3) hill driveway.

I need to move her asap, but if fixing the oem switch isn't doable, I'll order up a replacement asap.

EDIT: I typed ignition solenoid, I meant ignition switch.

Apologies, I can't seem to edit the title.

• Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

50F is not even close to cold and wheel cylinders do not pop from it. Even water has to be below 32 to freeze.

The back of the key cylinder has a switch assy that can be unscrewed and removed to get at it or replaced. You might just need to flush it with WD-40 to clean it.

• Like 1

50F is not even close to cold and wheel cylinders do not pop from it. Even water has to be below 32 to freeze.

The back of the key cylinder has a switch assy that can be unscrewed and removed to get at it or replaced. You might just need to flush it with WD-40 to clean it.

Well, 50f is definitely cold to me after being in 100+ for a few months :D . 

Brakes worked, it hit 50f(probably below that during the night), I got in the truck and hit the brakes, and the wheel cylinders popped..so..I don't know what to tell ya?

I'll try taking the switch apart and cleaning/packing with some dielectric grease and see what happens!

Talk to a local locksmith - not a key guy at the hardware store but a real locksmith.  They can make a proper key, clean or replace the tumblers, and potentially that can solve the switch issues.  Probably 4-5 times the cost of replacing the ignition switch, but its original.  

I actually had to go to a locksmith to get my current key made. I don't think it's the key though. The original and the one he made me both do it. I think the connections in the switch may just be worn out? 

I know that if the truck is running, I can pull the key out while it is in the "on" position, and it will keep running and driving?

Get a new switch????????

sometimes that awnser is still not good enough!!!!!!!!!

rockauto.com

wheel cylinder pop. its just worn out. or overextended then pops.

I assume the rear brakes as they need to be adjusted a little bit more in back to keep the movement to a minimun. Ok fronts also.

try to find Jap made cylinders. BustaNut knows where to get them ai forgot the place he gets them from but most are Taiwan Italy made units. Dont last more than 5 yrs (well for me)

I can't see this being possible. With the shoe material worn off, the drums worm past their limit and the adjusters all the way in, the cylinders should not be able to come out this far. Maybe you mean they are both leaking brake fluid??? That, is very possible.

Brake leaks happen spontaneously.  I just got done installing a new alternator in my Dodge Omni (yes there's one still alive) last Sunday.  I went to drive it out of the shop and the brake pedal dropped.  They had been great up until that moment - and its not temperature related.  Its the 800-1000 psi fluid pressure you apply with the brake pedal.  It'll just blow when its ready to blow.  

So your ignition lock is broken.  You know what to do.  They're posted all over Ebay.  

• Like 1

It wasn't clear if the key turned but the starter didn't engage... or the key had to be giggled to line the tumblers up to get it to turn at all.

If the former the switch can be removed from the key part. If the latter try a WD-40 flush. Is the key worn out??? got a spare that doesn't have so many miles on it?

• Like 1