1975 620 in Tijuana

Leche

Hey guys this is to introduce myself and my new to me 1975 620. Just bought it up a couple of weeks ago and I finally got it home. Previous owner told me that it overheated so he parked it for a couple of years. Started tearing into it as soon as I got it home.

Took the head off (thanks hainz for the great videos) and found a blown head gasket. Well parts are on order and hopefully I can get this running in a couple of weeks.

IMG-20150929-WA0024_zpsimxe3dok.jpeg

IMG-20151002-WA0010_zpsmaqkf8kz.jpeg

20151002_161105_zpsxuqioq7n.jpg

20151002_161128_zpsw7ur4c1z.jpg

• Like 7
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. That's why I'm posting those pics here so you guys can guide me in the right direction. Datzenmike, do you think there might be something wrong with those or should I change them out?

This is what the bottom end looks like:

20151002_182052_zpsbgxy8qho.jpg

• Like 3

If the truck was originally sold in Mexico, it may have the car version of the engine, not the US spec 110 hp setup.  

You're going to want to flush out the entire oil system, as it appears you got plenty of water in there (dripping off the rods).  Or do very frequent oil changes until it stops foaming and hope the bearings live through it.  Looking at the peened valve seat, someone has been cutting some corners.  Valve seats are usually available in several oversizes to account for poor machining or one that came loose from overheating.  

• Like 1

Cool, thanks guys.

Doing several oil changes until I get everything cleaned up sounds like very sound advice thanks distributorguy.  I am planning on taking the head to get it rebuilt so hopefully if anything is out of whack they will be able to rectify it.  I purchased the car in San Diego and it's currently registered in California so I think it should have the regular L20b engine in it. 

• Like 1

Took out the gas tank to clean it out and was pretty happy that it wasn't all rusty inside or out!

20151007_170647_zpsabnmomyz.jpg

20151007_173605_zpsif5cnwbz.jpg

Bought these wheels from Craigslist the other day, they are 15x8. They are in decent shape but should clean up nicely, I might do them black with plasti dip

20151007_175744_zpsweyhh6yi.jpg

20151007_175552_zpsesoc6i64.jpg

• Like 3

Got the truck running on Saturday, bled and adjusted the brakes and took it out for a spin, Suspension is a bit stiff but it's probably due to the shocks that are shot. Started doing the body work and want to get it in primer in about a month.

• Like 5

got it running already?

shocks keep the spring from bouncing that all. unles the shock locked up.

stock tires give the best ride.

Yes it's running and your videos where a huge help so thank you for making those.

I still have the original tires and wheels on there for the moment. I'll be replacing the shocks and bushings for the suspension after I finish all the bodywork.

• Like 2

Moving fast! Glad to here it's already a driver. Those wheels actually look pretty good on it. I think they would look better in white than black though with your blue truck. Plus they would tie in the hood for now!

I imagine in your area pick your parts places have to be everywhere. Get a grille and drivers mirror for that thing real cheap, if 620s are still around down there in yards that is...

• Like 1

Looks good. Your not messing around. Looks like your getting shit done. Keep up the good work.

Thanks bro, don't like to sit on projects but sometimes waiting on parts does hold me up a bit.

Moving fast! Glad to here it's already a driver. Those wheels actually look pretty good on it. I think they would look better in white than black though with your blue truck. Plus they would tie in the hood for now!

I imagine in your area pick your parts places have to be everywhere. Get a grille and drivers mirror for that thing real cheap, if 620s are still around down there in yards that is...

Thanks for the compliments bud.

I wish the junkyards here had these trucks, I actually have to go to the ones in San Diego to look for parts. I did pick up a grill a week back from another guy here in TJ and ordered a bunch of parts off eBay.

It won't stay this blue and I'm still trying to decide on what color to go with.

• Like 1