1982 datsun 720 z22 has no spark

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did this just happen? If yes then what have you done to the truck lately? Usually the last thing changed or adjusted points to the problem. If no, and this is an unknown truck, never ran and you have no history with it... it can be anything. Maybe put back together wrong by previous owner.

Make sure you check for spark at the coil wires and not at the spark plug ends.

Is there power on the + terminal of both coils???

NO.... check the White/Blue wire at the ignition switch for power in the ON and START positions.

YES.. Take dizzy cap off and see if the rotor is there. Turn engine over with the starter and see if the dizzy turns. Tighten the dizzy down to properly ground it.

• Like 1

It was running great,we didn't changed anything. The dizzy is all good. It doesn't have any power at the + side of ether coil. Is there a relay or something? where does the power come from before the coil? Does the power go to the coil before the dizzy?

Battery... to fusible link... to ignition switch (on) ......

to first fuse left hand side of fuse box..... to exhaust side coil + terminal

and

to intake side coil + terminal and to the module in the distributor to power it.

If both coils have no power then this would suggest that the ignition switch is faulty.

I assume the engine turns over with the starter? If no then the fusible link is blown. If starter works then it's ok..

The starter gets it's start signal from the same fusible link as the distributor. It would appear the ignition switch is working for that but no power to the coils. Could be the ignition switch or any wires or connectors between it and the coils.

I think I was testing the coils wrong, when I put the tester one on the + side of coil and the other on a ground (not on the -)then I have power. So why dont I have spark? Maybe it is the dizzy what should I look for now?

Is the harness to the distributor plugged in? One of the wires to the distributor should have 12 volts. The other two go to the coil - sides.

To work the distributor must be solidly grounded.. is it bolted down and the timing adjust screw snug??

Take the cap off and crank engine... does the rotor turn? It should.

I had this same issue, turned out to be a low voltage issue. I charged the battery and haven't had a problem since. I make sure to rev the engine enough to make the alternator start charging. Some reason it won't charge unless I rev it to 2000rpm. If I rev it once, I don't have to do it again until I start the car again. I don't know why, but its been that way for 3 years now.

I'm assuming your check for spark would be the way I would do it. Maybe not...

Pull the coil high tension lead from the distributor cap. Put an old spark plug in the end and lay on a grounded surface. With a charged battery, crank the engine over just like starting it....

Got spark???

Hello!

I am new here.

I have an 81 pickup and have a similar sounding problem.

no spark.

Power to the coil(s), cranks over, rotor turns....

just no spark.

I discovered that when I turn the key on and off, there is a small tiny itsy bitsy single spark.

Have you guys any advice?

I tried a brand new battery.

still didn't work.

When I turn it over and turn the key off.on quickly before engine stops, it backfires once.

I left all the wiring intact but run a jumper from the starter solenoid to the battery so I could turn the engine over myself while wiggling g wires and connections under the hood.

I DID indeed have the key to the on position. Heh heh.

I have no spark unless I cycle the key back and forth when it sparks only once per on.off.

I loosened off the distributor and turned it back and forth in attempt to achieve a better ground to the distributor.

Is there is a piece calle spark ignitor?

Is this something that is likely to fail?