1977 factory info, documentation, photos, etc...

distributorguy

One of the things we need to collect for our trip to race at Bonneville is proof that our 1977 620 meets production class rules.  That means we need to have "proof" that nothing on the outside of the body has been altered, that all is correct for 1977.  I haven't found a good resource for that as of yet.  Can anyone point me in the right direction for that information covering a 2wd standard cab truck?  A printout from Google won't suffice, unless its a copy of a factory manual, brochure cover, ???  I have the little book from the glove box with specs in it from a '74, and it lacks real info. I don't have a '77 book.  Are the factory manuals available???

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try an ad in our classifieds asking for a '77 factory service manual (FSM)... http://community.ratsun.net/classifieds/category/13-datsun-miscellaneous/?sort_key=date_added&sort_order=desc

Google, Amazon books may have one for sale. There are manuals here... http://www.olddatsuns.com/

under Datsun Tech.

The body didn't change from '72 1/2 through '79 on the outside.

Thanks David!  That's the same one I just scored on Amazon for $31 with shipping!

The only thing missing is better photography of the outside, and a list of standard and optional equipment - so they don't think we are leaving the rear bumper off intentionally.  All I can find online is early stuff, well prior to '77.  Does anyone have a factory brochure, or copy of one, that lists this stuff???

But you are leaving the bumper off intentionally- to save weight.   Trying to get away with leaving the bumper off- that's the issue.  And with 620s it's a grey area.  620s were built with bumperettes, but they weren't sold in the US like that.

In '77 the dealers were required by law in the US to install a rear crash bumper prior to it leaving the lot (some left them off if the new owner declined it, though it  wasn't entirely legal.  Usually the dealer added an aftermarket heavy steel step bumper during dealer prep or some were added at the port of entry when the beds were installed).  They didn't come from the factory with them.  Gray area, to be sure.  Plenty of brochures showed them without.

The list of equipment was on the window sticker.  The only body-related options was a sticker package.

I saw a brochure for the '73 (if I recall) that lists standard and optional equipment.  A rear step bumper was optional at that time.  Here in MN it is not mandatory.  If you could buy the truck without it, it will pass tech.  I'm just trying to find a legitimate copy of that list for 1977.  I also found a 40 page brochure online that I ordered, but have not received it yet so I don't know if the info is there or not.