280zx N/A 5 speed into a Turbo 280zx

Splaya66

Hey, this is my first post and I was wondering if anyone has done this. I drive a 1981 280zx Turbo and like many people know it has an automatic tranny. I know Nissan was worried so they never put the same trannies from the N/A car into the turbo car, but an opportunity has come up where I can get the entire parts car. So my main question is that, will it work properly and if its worth it or should I just wait till a 280zxt manual tranny becomes available?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it will work. Check the automatic is 31.5" long... (I'm sure it is, I had one and likely measured it and would remember if it wasn't) The auto drive shaft or the 5 speed one should both work. All the clutch pedal, master, hard and soft lines, slave, pushrod, clutch arm and boot, release collar, pressure plate, clutch disc and flywheel parts should just swap over. You will need a new pilot bushing for the end of the crankshaft (about $4) and a new release bearing (don't go cheap, maybe $15-20, you don't want this to fail and have to tear everything back out) for the release collar. If you can swing it get a new pressure plate and clutch disc. Be sure to remove the spacer on the end of your crankshaft. It's only for use with an automatic. You may have to lightly pry it off but it does come off so the standard flywheel will fit on properly. Your automatic has a vacuum hard line from the modulator valve to the intake be sure to cap this with the 5 speed.

The FS5W71B was getting a little old for the increasing displacement and higher powered engines of the '80s so while the NA still used them the Turbos went with the T-5. The next generation 5 speed, the FS5W71C was first used on the NA 300zx and is a far stronger transmission. The weakest link on the 71B is the 56mm counter shaft bearing. They are not that hard to change for a new one just for some extra insurance.