Ratwagons Dime

Ratwagon1600

Look at that... they fit!

Its still kinda bizzare, everything! Is in the perfect spot.

Seat height, adjustability, centered perfectly on the floor pan, no drilling of extra holes in the rails etc etc

I need to check the exact date but im pretty sure the seats are out of what we got here as the N13 Nissan Pulsar (circa 1987).

Coolest thing was I got to sit in the car and make screaming great twin sidedraught carbied L motor noises

• Like 3
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

(minor) change of plan.

Car will now be registered with the big brakes and other goodies.

B.T.W, standard OEM 1600 brake pad for comparison.

Its going to mean a lot more fucking around due to our Nanna registration laws and the need for an engineers certificate, but......., anyway what is going to happen now with the brake system (this was always going to occur anyway) is.......

20160116_141427_zpsjmpnak6t.jpg

20160116_141529_zpsgn0ozipu.jpg

These are calipers off the Straylian made VT Commodore. The caliper spacing is almost a direct bolt up fit to a 180B Goon (610) or SSS strut (these have a bigger stub axle).  Any way, bolt up with a minor shim , and we use a vented rotor off a Mitsubshi V6 Verada which makes for insanely good stopping power.

Back brakes will be (slightly) modified Straylian calipers of an R31 Skyline, with Skyline discs.

More Oics to come soon, beer to drink now :)

• Like 3

Thank you gentlemen.

Ill post a pic shortly of the front disc rotor and caliper setup.

Needs at least 15" wheels to clear it. 

Ill start on the second caliper after work today and post some pics of the back calipers which ill also start tearing down for their rebuild shortly.

I was going to do the calipers in a bright red, but I think I like the black/silver combo much betterer.

• Like 1

This is a caliper off a Straylian supplied R31 Nissan Skyline (Google it if you are interested kids).

20160120_174027_zpswyxvokhs.jpg

20160120_174047_zps9mf6zcic.jpg

Beauty of it is, tried and proven rear disk brake conversion for down here.

Its a little bit of work to make it happen, but, ill post pics as the build of the rear brakes progresses.

Other bonus is, it has the Ebrake (Straylian translation of Handbrake) cable set up.

• Like 1

Document that shit for us state siders. Looks like it could be a good swap... if we can get the parts here.

Not sure if the R31 was shipped to Murica?

Heres a review of the model the rear calipers come out of.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-reviews/used-car-review-nissan-skyline-1986-1990-13323

Maddat down here do a bolt on caliper conversion mounting plate.

http://www.maddat.com.au/brakes/1600-510/rear-disk-brake-conversion-caliper-brackets

Datsport also do a rear conversion kit but for some reason I cant access their website atm.

Ill get more info on the rotors and where to buy conversion bits and post soon.

• Like 1

How much can a set of those calipers be had for local to you?

I know there are a lot of options for rear disks.. but I'm interested in keeping the parking brake.

Pair on Egay here pretty cheap.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-R31-skyline-Hotrod-rear-brake-calipers-/331758347088

They average $100-120 Aussie dollars for a 2nd hand pair. With the current exchange rate thats about a buck Fifty Murican :)

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

Truth be known, ive done fuck all on the sedan in the last couple of months.

Spent most of my after hours time with Tubby.  He's always been outside of the shed and now he's been gone a couple of weeks, my motivation, well. quite frankly its gone through the floor big time!

Dusted myself off today and started to tackle some fiddly stuff.

Every front fender bolt is seized/rusted in so ive been slowly drilling out the old ones with cobalt drill bits.

RW's bad luck has struck with two bolts and Ive broken in one a drill bit, and in the other an ezy out.

Have a good collection of thread restoring stuff, so, despite it being a little achievement, got 3 fender holes rethreaded today.  Will grind them flush once the loctite I use when fitting the thread restoring sleeves has set.

Done a bit on removal of the battery carrier, just need to realise I need to take little steps till I get my mojo back.

20160430_160057_zpszvrrisfj.jpg

20160430_160036_zpsdyrnzuiq.jpg

20160430_160005_zpskbvraveu.jpg

• Like 2

If they fee like they are going to break, break them going in. That way you have a chance to grab the inside piece with a vice grip and turn it out with clean threads.

I so wish brother Jester.

They are all so uber locked in/tight its killing me.

• Like 1