Ratwagon1600

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glass microspheres (beads).

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/S297

Really good for anything metal as it doesnt etch the surface, moreso massages it.   

One of my favorite toys. 

Just about anything that can fit in the cabinet gets bead blasted, and the results, well they speak for themselves.

• Like 4

Decided to start tackling the rear brakes. Eventually I'll be running a disc and caliper setup from an R31 Skyline. Redoing the drums atm. PO had wound the adjusters in full and they had seized. Lots of fun getting them off. Drums have been give a clean up in the lathe and a coat of paint to pretty them up.

Stripping everything back to clean it all up. New wheel cylinders go in today.

20151021_174021_zpsksowmx8a.jpg

20151025_180143_zps8a8nasud.jpg

• Like 1

OK, couple of days off to get health issues sorted, and, feel fucking great today.

Some minor work done.

Still cleaning up the original brake setup so I don't have to go through massive headaches when the car is ready for registration. 

As Ive alluded to before, our motor registration issues aint easy; there's a bit of leeway with wheel and engine size and a few other things, but, basically with a car this old it helps to have the running gear as close to OEM as possible, otherwise you need to get a vehicle engineers report.  Why????, Cuz Straylia.

Anyway, some prettying up of the OEM calipers, and a small amount of rust repair work today.  Shit in the caliper piston, was, well....................................

20151030_172332_zpsnepsshti.jpg

20151031_162130_zps4b4iu3o6.jpg

20151031_163707_zps4tvcoyvp.jpg

20151031_172050_zpsrccwuwpw.jpg

• Like 2

Postman bought me some presents today :thumbup:

The guy at the post office when he looked at the tube said "whats in there, a rocket launcher ?"

He went a bit pale when I told him "actually there's two, how did you guess?" :rofl:

20151102_171815_zpshygzwxzv.jpg

No rocket launchers (hello NSA and every other alphabet agency), but, some other goodness.

The carpet trims are the reproduction ones being imported by a company here in Straylia.  Same mob who is remanufacturing these is the one who are doing the panels Futofab are selling Stateside.

I could almost cry when I think about the number of these OEM trims Ive thrown out in my junior Datsun owning days when I used to rally drive Datsuns, and, well, we just didn't need these damm pesky things.

Quality is very good, and im very pleased with them.

The copy of the OEM gear shift boot rubber is fantastic.

Apart from that, much fapping over new bits tonight and only work on the car was the removal of an old rear wheel cylinder.

Oics follow:

20151102_172343_zpsftalk8w7.jpg

20151102_171957_zpslubvdx53.jpg

20151102_172438_zpspcmblzhr.jpg

20151102_172214_zpsowqun9yr.jpg

20151102_173116_zpsty4gjglf.jpg

• Like 3

Damn you are kicking ass on this build. And 'health issues'. But you are moving so fast here it has to be like a cardio workout. This datsun may just save your life.

Same color as mine too... yours is just prettier already.

Yes Ratsun brother Qtip, they are a pretty thing. Almost too nice to put in the car.

Thanks Fisch, I dont want the car looking too good, after all it's proudly flying the rats and wrenches, dont want it looking like something youd find on the 510 realm :)

The carpet trims are the reproduction ones being imported by a company here in Straylia.  Same mob who is remanufacturing these is the one who are doing the panels Futofab are selling Stateside.

I could almost cry when I think about the number of these OEM trims Ive thrown out in my junior Datsun owning days when I used to rally drive Datsuns, and, well, we just didn't need these damm pesky things.

Quality is very good, and im very pleased with them.

20151102_172438_zpspcmblzhr.jpg

20151102_172214_zpsowqun9yr.jpg

20151102_173116_zpsty4gjglf.jpg

They look very nice indeed.

Do they use a thicker gauge aluminum than stock to hopefully increase their presentable life?

Cant find oem trims to measure, anyway.......

Just plodding along while I get a few other small issues in my life sorted.

I get a real kick out of taking 40+ year old stuff and (hopefully) bring it back to new condition.

Horn is looking "pretty horny" :rofl: , after a bit of work.

As usual, the bead blaster has done a fantastic job :thumbup:

20151105_150058_zps6lo6nybx.jpg

20151105_180853_zpsjnrgscfj.jpg

20151106_182555_zps32uxnwqf.jpg

Ewww, not going to post the finished oic cause it was taken in low light on my camera phone.

Suffice to say, finished product looks great!

• Like 1

Hey Ratwagon,

Any manufacturer name or part number on the sill/carpet trim?

My supplier does not offer them.. I have been after them to do 2d trim, but they have issues with replicating the "DATSUN" logo without proper authorization.

I have no problem working with Nissan to license the repro parts, but have no idea how to do it. I've made multiple contacts thru variuos channels with no luck. 

• Like 2

Hey Ratwagon,

Any manufacturer name or part number on the sill/carpet trim?

My supplier does not offer them.. I have been after them to do 2d trim, but they have issues with replicating the "DATSUN" logo without proper authorization.

I have no problem working with Nissan to license the repro parts, but have no idea how to do it. I've made multiple contacts thru variuos channels with no luck.

Hi Dave.

No manufacturers marks or OEM style branding on the trims at all.

I made an assumption it was the same Taiwanese company which is supplying the repro panels ?

This is the company in Aus who is selling the panels as well as the trims and rubbers in this build thread.

http://www.allmusclecarparts.com.au/webshop/

"Tony" is the guy I have been dealing wth, may be worth sending him an email.

• Like 1

A tiny bit of progress.

Oics are going to be all over the place, so, in no particular order some work done in the last week includes, but is not limited to:

New carpet has arrived.  Ive done a test fit of the front section (no oics) and im pretty pleased with it.

Rear brakes on the passenger side have been fully rebuilt, drivers side to go.  As previously advised, build at this stage is keeping close to uber standard to keep the motor vehicle registration people happy.

Dash is stripped, heater pulled out for a rebuild and the dash pad ready for some love.

Been helping an acquaintance with his Datsun and repairing the Drivers side rail.  Oics don't do it justice, but, it was pretty ordinary when I got hold of it.  Anyway, its looking good now.

Bought a new grinder today (Ive only got four of them) and am stripping the paint of the rear end.  Some early oics of paint stripper goodness.

Rear shock absorbers are about to get pulled out and prettied up, also rear crossmember is about to be removed and exhaust hole made biggerer.

Found some other shock absorbers with very nice rubbers and a good sway bar so these goodies will be added.

Have ordered new seat belts for a great company here in Oz (Datsport) and oics will be posted soon.

Looked upwards in my garage the other night (see oics) and theres some treasures I forgot I had (I need to look up more).

20151114_172555_zpszq3zbltl.jpg

20151114_170518_zpsiuvnklin.jpg

20151114_163932_zps8zbmwin4.jpg

20151113_184724_zpssfi1cfzu.jpg

20151113_184702_zpsthizjh8j.jpg

20151113_184614_zpsqtjdbztq.jpg

20151113_184415_zpskq9m5nef.jpg

20151113_180922_zpsr1o0gr8x.jpg

• Like 4

Okaaayyyyyyy, dash pad is not as sexy time as I thought!

Little update:

20151115_151947_zpswytkh43n.jpg

Yep, its pretty fckude up.

Carpet has been thrown in, and zero effort on it otherwise so happy with fit thus far.

20151115_152028_zpsdnjrx86f.jpg

Passenger side rear quarter panel stripped.

20151115_152011_zpsmklx25kv.jpg

• Like 5

Haven't done much lately as Ive been getting a lot of my Gubment training I did formally recognised under the Aussie educational qualifications system and its taking shitloads of my spare time.

Anyhow, have made some time for the Datsun.

Dashpad repair is slowly progressing.

20151116_191035_zpsapbwwlet.jpg

20151121_122415_zpsnobngwaw.jpg

Right hand quarter panel is now stripped and I can start the couple of minor repairs which need to be done to the sheet metal on the back end.

20151121_114544_zpsnjmpnaht.jpg

Started on a mates tank for the intank EFI pump conversion to feed his SR.

20151121_115009_zpsmpzcsgdw.jpg

Front swaybar rubbed back and hanging on the painting rack ready for painting.

20151121_131637_zps9bebkgsc.jpg

• Like 2

180B proportioning valve thrown to the shithouse and a nice Datsport supplied Wilwood bias valve fitted.

20151125_184056_zpsnwtjekig.jpg

Standard 4 way splitter block being cleaned up.  One port will be plugged to allow for it to be used for the front brakes.

20151125_185211_zpsex9umycb.jpg

20151125_190944_zpsutohpvv3.jpg

4" piece of pipe ready to enlarge the rear crossmember exhaust hole.

20151125_185407_zpszllcnrw5.jpg

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

its been a little while since I posted an update, but, ive been quietly working away behind the scenes.

Read something online a few weeks ago about OEM seats from a Nissan Pulsar bolting straight up to OEM 1600 (510) mounts, and being exactly the same spacing etc

Fuck me I think, cant be possible!

Double FM, last Friday I source set of seats (and a radiator which ill post some pics/info in the coming days).

Tonight I get a little bit of motivation, so, get some OEM drivers side mounts and the trusty tape measure and give it a try.

Everything bolts in, no modifications, no fucking around, seats are comfy and RW is very happy!

Some random pics to give an end to the story.

20151219_163000_zpsl9uzi6br.jpg

20151222_183053_zps01h0yvcq.jpg

20151222_185700_zpskxqklqcv.jpg

• Like 2