New to me 1997 Nissan 4x4 XE pickup! Need a little guidance...engine rattling

So, I decided I wanted a newer 4x4 truck as my commuter/winter driver, bc my 620 just isn't going to make it up to the mountains to go dirt biking or snowboarding etc. I looked at a few trucks and decided I didn't want to pay the Toyota tax and should keep it in the family and go with a Nissan. Probably should have gone with an early Frontier for practicality and updated tech, but they just don't do much for me. So I decided on a D21 or hardbody bc they seem to be plenty reliable, ubiquitous, and to my eyes stylish. The one I bought is a 1997 XE 4x4 model in exceptional condition. It has 138k and has had 2 previous owners, the last being a retired man for over 10 years. It is not without issues however, but I'm kind of crazy in that I would rather have a really clean vehicle that needs a bit of mechanical attention than a battered old lug with no issues. The wheels were swapped out at some point for some horrid chromed steel rims and the suspension needs a refresh. Also, the windshield wipers turn on randomly sometimes, should be an easy fix. However, the biggest concern is an engine rattle that develops after the engine is warmed up. It also has the infamous KA24e timing chain rattle at cold start up, which I plan on addressing regardless. The sound comes from what appears the front/upper end. I am hoping it is also just the timing chain slapping around or perhaps a collapsed lifter and not something more serious like a rod knocking etc. The sound does not get louder when the engine is revved and it is most noticeable at idle. But it sounds to me way more like a rattle than ticking or knocking. I have read up on ways to diagnose rod knock, which I still need to do. I made 2 videos of the sound, one of a cold startup and the other of the engine rattling after warmed up. Any guidance is greatly appreciated! Thanks and here she is.

D21.jpg

Dat_D21.jpg

cold start video

warm engine rattle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOy5fW9mxaA&feature=youtu.be

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have old ears, can't tell. The timing chain on those were made very cheap. The L and Z series were double row and ran for the life of the engine but for the KA they made them single row and the plastic guards wear off the chain guides. I tore down my KA24E and found the guides replaced but the old plastic pieces in the oil pan. Without the plastic covering its just metal on metal. You can remove the valve cover and look down the front with a flashlight to inspect.

The other thing are the hydraulic rocker arms. They are non adjustable and use oil to cushion the clearance. They can block up and clatter or just get old..

Well when running there is 'zero' clearance. But there is a hydraulic cushion of oil. When shut off there may be a small spring inside holding the arm against the valve.... not sure. There is no adjustment... they work or they don't. You could hold a screwdriver against the moving rocker. Any that are not properly cushioned you will feel a sharp tapping through the handle.

Lockleaf is right there is something about flushing them out. Over due oil changes cause crap to build up in them and block the flow of oil. Maybe you can back flush them with a few drips of a solvent.

Ok I think I figured out the source of the noise. I took the valve cover off and checked all rockers while each cylinder was at TDC, all nice and tight no real play at all. Then I shined a light down and saw a large bit of plastic and then realized the slack side cam chain guide is completely missing the plastic part. So the chain is just rattling against the metal backing of the guide. I plan to replace all the related parts while I'm in there.

Also when I was down putting a ratchet on the crank pulley bolt I noticed that one half of my stabilizer bar wasn't bolted down! Some idiot just left the bolts out at some point lol.

Yep here's a few more pics. the interior is super clean. There are a few small rips and scuffs here and there but it's pretty impressive how well taken care of it is. I need to get some of those big rubber floor mats before winter.  As far as the LSD in the rear, Im not sure how to ID it? There is an axle code on the info sticker inside the door I think.

d21_side.jpg

The side graphics are pretty faded, but look better in real life. I am thinking about peeling them off and buying some of the older style ones that are just a thick darker stripe running along the bottom of the body. Also the chrome bumpers and mirrors etc are in really nice shape. Although I wouldn't mind converting those and the grill to the older style black parts. Does anybody know if they are a direct swap? 

d21_34.jpg

d21_interior.jpg

d21_column.jpg

d21_rear.jpg

i like that sticker from the dealer where it was originally bought in Missoula, Mo is still intact.

Jack up the rear end so both tires are off the ground. Spin one tire and watch the other side. If they spin in the same direction, you have lsd rear end. If they spin in opposite directions, open rear. Also look for bright orange sticker says LSD under the grime on the axle.