help guys suggestions, opportunity arrived 4 me..

DAWOLF

Hi, I found a 1983 Datsun 280zx Turbo no motor and no tranny not too far away from my home, pretty close.

For my 1969 Datsun 510 4dr, I want to know what parts should I need to remove from this 83 280zx turbo shell car only thing missing is tranny and engine are gone. 

I want to start looking and collect parts that I need for my front and rear brake upgrade conversion for better brake improvement and I'm also looking for suspension coilover with t3 coilovers so I can lower the car not tooo low but just lower enough my 510 like shakotan low style.. Any ways I just found out the news 2 hours ago hanging out with my friends talking about their hondas, I'm the only dude with a 510 lol.. but they spoke about a guy with a 1983 280zx turbo parting out parts for sale.. so I'm going to check it out, it's there anything I can use from that 1983 280zx turbo for my 69 510 4dr let me know guys what things I need to look into, inspect and take advantage from this opportunity before that guy calls the junk yard and I loose my chance.. thanks for the help.  

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Swap the struts onto the 510. You will need your 510 coils and lower spring perch and top hat swapped over to the zx strut and a pair of $25 split collars to hold the spring up. The zx strut is already a couple of inches shorter and the split collars make the ride height adjustable too. You can lower your car and make it adjustable for about $25. Coil overs are too expensive for setting the ride height and then never adjusting them again. 

At the same time you can trim your stock 89 lb./in. stock springs to increase the spring rate and if the oil bath dampers are still in the strut tubes, you can replace the watery thin oil with thicker weight motor cycle fork oil to firm up the shock absorbing. This is all of what I did on my 710 and everything came to under $50. Firmer springs, adjustable ride height and better shock absorber damping.

The zx struts will also give you monster calipers, larger spindle bearings and vented diner plate size rotors. You will probably need 14" rims to clear them.

A '79-'81 280zx 15/16" master may also be needed to take the mushy feel out of the brakes caused by the larger calipers.  If you don't have a brake booster maybe a 13/16" or a 7/8"

• Like 1

Swap the struts onto the 510. You will need your 510 coils and lower spring perch and top hat swapped over to the zx strut and a pair of $25 split collars to hold the spring up. The zx strut is already a couple of inches shorter and the split collars make the ride height adjustable too. You can lower your car and make it adjustable for about $25. Coil overs are too expensive for setting the ride height and then never adjusting them again. 

At the same time you can trim your stock 89 lb./in. stock springs to increase the spring rate and if the oil bath dampers are still in the strut tubes, you can replace the watery thin oil with thicker weight motor cycle fork oil to firm up the shock absorbing. This is all of what I did on my 710 and everything came to under $50. Firmer springs, adjustable ride height and better shock absorber damping.

The zx struts will also give you monster calipers, larger spindle bearings and vented diner plate size rotors. You will probably need 14" rims to clear them.

A '79-'81 280zx 15/16" master may also be needed to take the mushy feel out of the brakes caused by the larger calipers.  If you don't have a brake booster maybe a 13/16" or a 7/8"

Yes Coil overs are expensive setting ride height and never adjusting again... +1 agree, will give a try for a pair of split collars to hold the spring up.. I just hope nobody had an accident with the split collars slip, came out or dropped all the way down as driving at 70-80mph on the highway and tragedy accident, just asking if that's totally safe with those split collars holding weight at 70-80 mph highway with no problems going to your car meets guys :D join the family hehehe... ..., plus I'm saving cash for an engine swap looking for few promising engines toyota 2rz, 3rz or the s14 sr20det, either way bread and water for the next 5-6 months $ave $ave, student here,no gfs, wife, kids or unwanted kids, child support or anything.. all wide open with no drama on my way. 

Ok, for this 1983 280zx car I have a question, Can I use the rear calipers, rotors and hubs whole brake system, if I'm going to upgrade my 4dr 510 with a more powerful engine than the stock, I already remove the stock engine and tranny. I'm collecting and searching parts as I go and see an opportunity to save some cash for a full motor and components swap. Since I'm going for more Power hp and torque, I want to do the rear disc brake conversion too. If there's no need to purchase the Rear brake components from the 83 280zx other than the front brakes components and the struts components all around please let me know, or any suggestions should I start looking or hunting for rear disk brake conversion, Thanks