Z24 with weber 32/36

Kennyt

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I run my z24 without the emissions stuff. On the intake manifold, make or buy a block off plate that covers the opening. Use the egr bolts and gasket to seal it. On the exhaust, I cut the egr pipe off, leaving about an inch hanging out of the exhaust. Then I stuck a bolt in that and welded it closed.

This isn't necessary to run a Weber. In fact a good condition egr can improve gas mileage, but you can run without it and overall engine performance will not suffer.

• Like 1

The above. You can also remove the pipe from the exhaust manifold and replace with a metric thread pipe plug. No welder needed. The easiest thing is to just leave it alone and pull the hose off the EGR valve to deactivate it.  Depends what you want.

• Like 1

I hate removing the damn things as well. Once you get one free though you can slather it with high temp anti-sieze and the next time it should come off without the ridiculous fight. Do as you will, but that's another option.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How much does one of these kits cost? I can't seem to find pricing on the Redline webpage, and can't find the kit for my 86 Z24 on the Pierce Manifolds page.

~$300 with the adapter plate, list it as any year between 83-85, the 86 was switching to efi so some places assume it's on every 86.

• Like 1

Call Pierce manifolds great people to deal with.  Mike Pierce explains the Weber and gives some good info in the following Videos.  They know Datsuns/Nissans.  By the way these are old videos and prices have gone up over the years.

• Like 1

Are you sure that's not an '83 or '84? That engine is exactly like mine. There is only one wingnut that holds on the original air cleaner, and two nuts that bolt (via a bracket on the side of the air cleaner) to the valve cover.

air_cleaner_mounts_by_igotoverit-d9osmgr

This is a very old pic from my '83 720 Z24 before replacing it with a weber.

• Like 1

The 720 Z24s are rare with the TBI.  I have only seen a few and they were all 1985 4x4?

The Z24i with TBI was from April, '85 on so just a couple of months at the end of '85 and June to October '85 or 5 months into the '86 model year. This was the changeover to the D-21 Hardbody and the end of the number trucks. The first Hardbodys were November '85.

• Like 1