What to do for a race car?

HRH

Rod stopped by this afternoon in search of Weber parts. He told me you bought a Z. Sure sounds to me like a good way to go as far as improving your times. I'll be really interested in weight difference between the two cars. I'm guessing the Z will be lighter, but maybe not that much if it has been caged. It would be nice to keep Betty until next season and run them against each other to see for certain how much faster the Z is. But that isn't very practical and you will know by how much you move up in the standings that the Z is faster.

So does the Z come with any sort of race suspension, bigger brakes, etc? Anything other than the wheels you can rob from the Maxima? I assume the new diff would be desirable in the Z.

How much can you do as far as engine mods and still be in the stock engine class? I'm thinking pistons and after-market fuel management system. Expensive I know but somewhere in the future could you use it? Or how about a turbo? Does that bump you up into a different class? Obviously I know nothing of autocross rules and I'm too lazy to look up the rule book.

Len

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Len!  YOU should buy the Maxima!!  You could drive it to the farm every day!  The new Z does come with suspension, though it's budget per the rules they built it for.  However, they sorted it out very well.  I'm told it handled quite neutral.  And yes, I'll be building an L28.  And it will be turboed.  Need the power to make use of the chassis.  The diff is welded, which I'm not that fond of, but still better than open, depending.  It's also an R200 unit, so pretty beefy. I need to do some digging on LSD options for those however.

Matt - I'll pass on your offer to sell me the Maxima. I know I'm getting spoiled in my old age, but having windows and interior seems important to me. :lol: I'm sure there is some younger braver person who would love it just the way it is.

I did a search this morning trying to educated myself regarding differentials. I found this page that I found informative:

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/49194-differential-cv-lsd-hp-torque-r160-r180-r200-r230-diff-mount/

I thought I would post the link for anyone following this thread.

I'm guessing the new Z with the welded diff has a taller rear end ratio than is desirable for autocross if it was used as a track car, but will be interested to know for sure.

And where are the pic, pics, pics? We want pics!

Oh, and leave the dents in it. That way we won't think you are a snob Z owner!

Len