510 Dogleg 5 spd makes noise

That4doorKiD

Put in a 5spd dogleg from a 200sx in to my 510. I drove it slowly on to the sidewalk, then we drove it on my Dad's trailer. While it was in gear, we were hearing this occasional

scratching sound. He was thinking it was the throw out bearing.

We put the stock TO bearing of the 200sx, and the fork. What could be wrong. It's not the gears grinding ps. We had very little tranny fluid what was left after dripped out, could it have been that.

• Like 1
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Put in a 5spd dogleg from a 200sx in to my 510. I drove it slowly on to the sidewalk, then we drove it on my Dad's trailer. While it was in gear, we were hearing this occasional

scratching sound. He was thinking it was the throw out bearing.

We put the stock TO bearing of the 200sx, and the fork. What could be wrong. It's not the gears grinding ps. We had very little tranny fluid what was left after dripped out, could it have been that.

Idling in neutral the throw out bearing shouldn't be moving. If the clutch was down then yes. An old bearing might make this noise.

I'll assume you used a new throw out bearing, though it's not clear in the text above. If not, you should have, these are high wear items items that require the transmission to be removed to get at, so always replace. You can't know how many miles were on this part.  Another item is the $4 rear seal. $4 is cheap insurance against an annoying oil leak and is also easy to replace with the transmission out, not so easy with it in.

If the transmission is wet but empty of oil, driving it onto a trailer is not going to hurt it but it may growl. I would fill it with 80 or 90w GL4 oil and start it. The oil will have a cushioning effect on all the gears and bearings and it may quiet down.

Having said all the above, the dogleg is not that common a transmission and is fairly 'light duty'. They tend to be well used when found (the latest one would have been installed in late '79) they are highly sought after (I don't know why, probably because you can often skip shortening the drive shaft) and may have had multiple owners and even more unrecorded mileage on them. If the transmission is indeed 'growly' it's likely the front tapered countershaft bearing. It may simply be worn out.

• Like 3

Did you use the T/O brg sleeve frm you original tranny?  T/O brg sleeves are clutch PP specific NOT TRANNY

I can't remember, but I do remember I had a clutch/pressure plate from the previous L-18

Wow I didn't know they correspong to a specific clutch. :confused:

Idling in neutral the throw out bearing shouldn't be moving. If the clutch was down then yes. An old bearing might make this noise.

I'll assume you used a new throw out bearing, though it's not clear in the text above. If not, you should have, these are high wear items items that require the transmission to be removed to get at, so always replace. You can't know how many miles were on this part.  Another item is the $4 rear seal. $4 is cheap insurance against an annoying oil leak and is also easy to replace with the transmission out, not so easy with it in.

If the transmission is wet but empty of oil, driving it onto a trailer is not going to hurt it but it may growl. I would fill it with 80 or 90w GL4 oil and start it. The oil will have a cushioning effect on all the gears and bearings and it may quiet down.

Having said all the above, the dogleg is not that common a transmission and is fairly 'light duty'. They tend to be well used when found (the latest one would have been installed in late '79) they are highly sought after (I don't know why, probably because you can often skip shortening the drive shaft) and may have had multiple owners and even more unrecorded mileage on them. If the transmission is indeed 'growly' it's likely the front tapered countershaft bearing. It may simply be worn out.

I didn't put aa new through out bearing, or replace the seal. Danget! Sounds like its worn out then huh, and it makes that noise when I pushed the clutch down yes.

I didn't put aa new through out bearing, or replace the seal. Danget! Sounds like its worn out then huh, and it makes that noise when I pushed the clutch down yes.

Dealer is $30 so a good one is about half that. That's $15 not spent that could have saved you putting the transmission in to take out again. Yes when the clutch peddle is depressed a load is placed on it equal to that needed to compress the pressure plate. Depending on the pressure plate that's 750 to 1700 pounds. A worn or dry bearing will not carry that quietly.

If you have the collar that holds the bearing from your 510... use it. It is intimately mated to your 510's 200mm pressure plate. Be sure to replace the bearing. PROBABLY, you could use the 200sx collar as all doglegs were used on 200mm clutch and pressure plates but why chance it?

The seal is part number... 32136-U0100. Pry out with screwdriver. Start the new one and place block of wood over it and pound in with hammer. Grease the seal so it does not tear when shoving the drive shaft in or run dry on start up.

Clutch pedal up the transmission is quiet?

X fingers that the rest of the internal bearings aren't growling.

• Like 1

Might as well replace the input shaft seal and front cover gasket too, since you're in there. Seal is another $4 part, gasket is ~$10 from Nissan; part number 32112-08U01

Yeah sounds like a good idea, while its out. Thx for the PN.

You got a dogleg too! Saw your YouTube video. Nice

Dealer is $30 so a good one is about half that. That's $15 not spent that could have saved you putting the transmission in to take out again. Yes when the clutch peddle is depressed a load is placed on it equal to that needed to compress the pressure plate. Depending on the pressure plate that's 750 to 1700 pounds. A worn or dry bearing will not carry that quietly.

If you have the collar that holds the bearing from your 510... use it. It is intimately mated to your 510's 200mm pressure plate. Be sure to replace the bearing. PROBABLY, you could use the 200sx collar as all doglegs were used on 200mm clutch and pressure plates but why chance it?

The seal is part number... 32136-U0100. Pry out with screwdriver. Start the new one and place block of wood over it and pound in with hammer. Grease the seal so it does not tear when shoving the drive shaft in or run dry on start up.

Clutch pedal up the transmission is quiet?

X fingers that the rest of the internal bearings aren't growling.

I'll replace the seal and TO bearing then. Do you think it's driveable with a worn bearing, because there's a lift at my school and some goodies that can help me take out the tranny easier.

Tranny is quiet when clutch is up thankfully.

don't change that seal on the output if not leaking

the 4 speed has a gasket and NLA might have to use sealant and hope it don't leak on the plate. that holds the seal

Are you testing me to see if I'm going to be cheap HAHAHAA? Because I'd think the cheap $4 seal might as well get a new one while the tranny is out.

Dealer is $30 so a good one is about half that. 

If you have the collar that holds the bearing from your 510... is intimately mated to your 510

The seal is part number... 32136-U0100. Pry out with screwdriver. 

Hey King Ratter Mike :devil: , what specific bearing + collar should I buy? And Part Number? Should I try to buy a new collar, but I do have one that's on the original 4-speed? Sorry I don't know much about this drivetrain mechanics, my first time doing this.

Did you use the T/O brg sleeve frm you original tranny?  T/O brg sleeves are clutch PP specific NOT TRANNY

I'm confused, haha so I need the TO Bearing sleeve from OG tranny and new dogleg TO bearing correct?

my input trans seal was bad in my 521.

Was rock hard. I had to band the cover plate off which could have broken. I had a 4 speed gasket and lightley put RTV on and I think it still leaks. either from the seal or the gasket butI said fuck it. Its running I just ck the oil more often and anyways most leak from the back as I changed that 3 times already. Cant quit get it sealed. So I just run it.

If it dont leak dont worry about it as there is not pressure in the trans just make sure the vent is open on top.

T/O bearing is a cheap part and ez to replace when open. Alot of people dont adjust the slave on the trans fork so they might get more wear than ones thinks.

As far as the gasket on the front cover goes, removing the gasket and replaceing it with black or grey RTV actually tightens up the shifting. The shift rods protrude through the bellhousing and are stopped by the front cover and over time things get sloppy. Removing the gasket, in my opinion, is a good upgrade.

If you want to spend some time playing with the shifting, the stops can be adjusted by welding a bead on the inside of the front cover and griding it for the right clearance. This makes a positive stop.

• Like 1

Someone here mentioned a while back that the large pressure plate can rub the inside of the 200sx 5 spd bellhousing. Which pressure plate do you have? Large or small?

I have a small pressure plate+clutch to an L-18 or 16 from a 4 speed.

I'm going to buy a new bearing from a dogleg 5 speed(77 200sx) and put it on the original 510 collar.

The dogleg was only ever used on 200mm or less size pressure plates. The stock 510 4 speed (the F4W63) would rub the 225mm pressure plate, don't know for sure if it will the dogleg. Recently someone had trouble fitting a transmission to an engine, was that a dogleg?

• Like 1

As far as the gasket on the front cover goes, removing the gasket and replaceing it with black or grey RTV actually tightens up the shifting. The shift rods protrude through the bellhousing and are stopped by the front cover and over time things get sloppy. Removing the gasket, in my opinion, is a good upgrade.

Tried this today. It didn't work. Once the front cover bolts are tightened down, the trans locks up. Loosening the bolts allowed the trans to turn again. The absence of the gasket makes the clearances too tight, at least for me. FS5W71B

Moral of the story, spend the $12 on a gasket.

Yeah, it can do that too. I have done it on dozens of Datsun transmissions and sometimes it does what you describe.

This is all trial and error folks. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Edit - One thing I just thought of...one of the cover bolts may hit the cluster gear if it's too long. You can actually see which one by looking in the holes with a flashlight. Try removing just that bolt and see if that frees up the gear. If it does, add a washer or get a shorter bolt.

• Like 1

Edit - One thing I just thought of...one of the cover bolts may hit the cluster gear if it's too long. You can actually see which one by looking in the holes with a flashlight. Try removing just that bolt and see if that frees up the gear. If it does, add a washer or get a shorter bolt.

Hmm. I'll try that. I'll post back with my results.