Need the ratsun community help ps gear box

Oyeller720

I have a 86 Nissan 720 4x4 kc stock with the power steering.I recently tried dismantaling the gear box an was success full but I'm not quite understanding the whole WORMGEAR AN BALLNUT thing..

My ball nut guides were bent preventing the bearings from moving the worm gear around an I got all back together but something just seems off..

I will try to post pics but it's $200-$300 for a new one an bend Oregon has nothing for these trucks so is there anything from different year or hell even a yota or anything I can do before buying new one l??

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oyella720 welcome to Ratsun. Too bad about the box. Nothing but a Nissan box is going to fit or work in your 720.

Can't see how the ball nut guides were bent unless dropped. Regardless, the FSM says to never try to disassemble the recirculating ball assy from the worm gear, if there are problems with it replace it. Part number 48150-04W00 (fits all 2 and 4wd 720 trucks) close to $300. This is an assembly of the worm and the recirculating ball

What you need is an old or used box from another 720 and take the worm gear out with the recirculating ball nut and slip into yours. The manual cautions not to let the nut travel to either end of the worm gear or damage may result.

It appears that ALL manual and power steering box internals (like the worm gear assy) are the same for all years and 2 or 4 wd. So this means ANY 720 box will have the part you want.

Okay so then the 720 2wd will work then.an I have two of them. But I tore it down all the way from the rod sector shaft an the worm gear but didn't realize how many balls were it an didn't mark the relation on the rod.. Pretty much I get it assembled everytime an it will turn all the way one way an stop back at center an be stuck. Haha

But alright I'll go for the 2wd thank you for helping out.

It appears that the worm is screwed into or assembled with the recirculating ball nut part on it. Set box in the ahead position. Lift the sector shaft out then loosen and remove the lock nut where the steering column joins the case. Lift the worm gear and ball nut assembly out carefully.

The manual says:

Do not allow the ball nut to run down to either end of the worm or damage will result. The ends of the ball guides will be dmaged

Do not attempt to remove ball nut assembly from the worm.