Lowered my spring perch, now what?

guyster

I've lowered my spring perch 2" from it's original position. I did not shorten the strut tube. (Should I have done that? Is it OK that I didn't?) I need to replace the struts, so for an uncut tube, do I simply replace the struts with stock size? If I bite the bullet and break it all down to cut the strut tube, then do I buy shorter struts? FWIW, I'll be using bump steer spacers. Thanks!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By doing so you've cut your suspension up travel by 2", so you will bottom out much more easily.  If you cut the tubes you will regain some travel.

Actually yes, I did have this issue. I just raised it up a little bit. I have about 1/2" gap from tire to fender with 195/50/15s and I don't bottom out.

Smaller tires would make it worse.

To add to that last statement.. I also have 250lb springs up front. It rides a little stiff with the L20 up front. I think 200lbs springs would be more comfortable.. but as a result I would probably bottom out again and need to shorten the struts. 

• Like 1

To add to that last statement.. I also have 250lb springs up front. It rides a little stiff with the L20 up front. I think 200lbs springs would be more comfortable.. but as a result I would probably bottom out again and need to shorten the struts. 

Well, this will be interesting as I have the L20, too. I'm using stock coil springs, uncut. Just dropped the spring perch 2". I also will be running 13" Libres with a somewhat low profile tire (50 series, I think, don't have them in front of me.) The rear will have D50s with one coil cut can Camero shocks - I did not slot the crossmember. All in all, I think the car will have a little rake. Which I'm hoping looks good. I'm worried about the small wheel / tire setup now, though.

UPDATE: My tires are 155/65R13 and not 50 series.

• Like 1

13 Libras and low profile + a car screaming at 60mph

I hear you!! According to Dime Quarterly, the rear drop should be less than 2", and the front is currently set at 2", then the L20 may drop the front a little more. I did the split collar for the front, so I can raise the front if need be.

I may do a bigger rim / tire setup, eventually - along with the 280ZX strut/brake setup. I bought these Libres and invested in repair, powdercoat and paint, so now I feel obligated to run them. We'll see. If the set up would work better with a taller tire, I may just bite the bullet and invest in some Hoosier high profile 13s (http://goo.gl/DM01Au)

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I hear you!! According to Dime Quarterly, the rear drop should be less than 2", and the front is currently set at 2", then the L20 may drop the front a little more. I did the split collar for the front, so I can raise the front if need be.

I may do a bigger rim / tire setup, eventually - along with the 280ZX strut/brake setup. I bought these Libres and invested in repair, powdercoat and paint, so now I feel obligated to run them. We'll see. If the set up would work better with a taller tire, I may just bite the bullet and invest in some Hoosier high profile13s (http://goo.gl/DM01Au)

Have the impression you are building a street car, would be careful buying the Hoosier rains....think they would not hold up well for days when there is not a rain!
  • Like 1