half through an alternator swap/upgrade mounting and cable qustion

btd19m

so i've been working through the alternator swap from a z car so far i've found an alt found a belt i like and various other things. the z car uses the same brackets as the L18 720 and the same part number on the alt. (in australia at least)

an l18 will crank the alt perfectly fine according the manufacturer specs. im removing my ac soon as i'm selling the ac bracket to a fellow member with an l16 who doesn't want to pay the stupidly high us prices for one. 

my questions are as follows.

can i run the alternator on either side of the motor?

what thickness cable should be used when running a 130amp alt that outputs close to 80 amps idle(550 rpms)   i'm considering 6mm2 cable currently. 

link to swap http://goo.gl/k5ima8

if i wanted to at a later date could i run 2 130 amp alt's?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An alternator can be ran on any side of the engine you prefer. 

A chart I have for marine wire applications recommends 4 GA for a 130 amp circuit.  Sorry, I am going to be a lazyAmerican, and not convert wire gauges to metric measurement.

Why do you nee a 130 amp alternator?  

A lot of GM alternator swaps on to Nissan engines I have seen, ... lets just say less than professional looking.  I would look into a Nissan alternator for a Nissan engine.

An alternator can be ran on any side of the engine you prefer. 

A chart I have for marine wire applications recommends 4 GA for a 130 amp circuit.  Sorry, I am going to be a lazy American, and not convert wire gauges to metric measurement.

Why do you nee a 130 amp alternator?  

A lot of GM alternator swaps on to Nissan engines I have seen, ... lets just say less than professional looking.  I would look into a Nissan alternator for a Nissan engine.

limited supply. bigger works out cheaper. headroom. still under 13v with an 80amp at the moment. 

129$ for the alt 15$ in parts and a 20$ plug and some wire and done. ill be lazy and not bother converting that from aud to usd

plus upcoming road trip and an engel draws close to 40amps so i need more then a factory 35 amp l18 alt can give me.

plus i dont want to pay the cost of a brand new weber 32/36 (400usd) for an alt. and its crome.